Thread: Windows 7 does not detect multiple External Hard Drives

Windows 7 does not detect multiple External Hard Drives

I have purchased a new Acer laptop last week which is running on the windows 7 Home Premium. I have two external hard drives each of 250 GB and when i connect both of them to my Laptop via the ports they provide an error and not get connected to the Laptop. I also tried with the individual hard drive and they individually work in a proper manner so i am not able to figure out the exact issue with the hard drives.So, please suggest me a solution to the issue.

Re: Windows 7 does not detect multiple External Hard Drives

There might be a problem in the Hard drive connection to the Laptop, please try to connect the external hard drives properly in the ports given in the side of Acer laptop. Some time the wires are not connected properly in the Laptop due to which it provides a problem for the multiple connection in the laptop after connecting all the cables properly restart the laptop to see the chances that you have made.

I have connected all my cables of both the hard drives and the laptop properly as given in the manual book for connecting the multiple hard drive which i got with the laptop. After that also i have not found the solution to these issue so please provide the solution to these problem, any suggestion regarding to the issue will be very grateful.

If all the connection to laptop and the hard drive are proper then it might be a problem of the operating system that you are using that is Windows 7, as it does not provide printer drivers and other drivers for many of the features such as Music, videos and printer. So, there might be a issue of the OS for that you to reinstall the windows 7 and then try with the process.

If you are using a laptop then the external power to the USB ports are provided by the Laptop, it is around 500mA at 5V for all the USB ports that are available in the Laptop. When two external hard drives are connected with the Laptop the resources increases but the power supply remains the same so these cause a trouble in the hard drive and they are not detected in the Laptop. The solution to these is that you attached only one hard drive to the laptop at a time, there is no alternative available for these issue.

These problem mostly occurs due to the insufficient supply of the power in the dual hard drives, if the drives are power-driven by the USB bus and do not have their own exterior power supplies the trouble is that the laptop is not supplying ample USB power to both drives and the USB requirement is that each port should deliver 500mA at 5V. To preserve their batteries, laptops regularly provide 500mA to be mutual between all the available ports. If you need to use a number of USB devices with major power supplies you need either an exterior powered USB center or to give the devices with their own command supplies.

If you have tried all the steps and not got the solution then the best option available to you is contact the manufacturer of the Hard drive and try to sort out the issue. You can also contact the Microsoft asking them why dual hard drives are not running in windows 7 operating system or if you are comfortable using other OS then install other operating system and then try to connect the external hard drive to the Laptop, these might help to resolve your problem.

First you have to check that the hard drives are connected on the system or not and then go for the reboot of the system these can be done by following these steps;
    • Open the Command Prompt.

• Type DISKPART in the command prompt then a new window will open. After that go into command : LIST DISK. This will show you the entire associated hard disk with the offline one.

• Now choose the offline hard disk with the next command SELECT DISK <disk_no> wheredisk_no is the offline disk number which you can get from above step.Now you have elected the offline disk finally enter command ONLINE DISK.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"