Thread: Help with QuickTime ActiveX error 46 in Windows 7

Help with QuickTime ActiveX error 46 in Windows 7

Hello all, I have a problem with QuickTime Player. I have this problem:
    Error 46: Could not load or find the QuickTime ActiveX control.
    I started to come out this problem since the change of version of QTP, I have found solutions, but only for Windows XP and Windows Vista, but do not work in Windows 7. So I thought that posting here would be helpful. Please help me to sort out this problem.

Re: Help with QuickTime ActiveX error 46 in Windows 7

There is a previous NT utility Subinacl.exe called that can be used to rearrange permissions in Windows 7. The following steps would be obliging :
    1. Download subinacl.msi from here and install it.
    2. Download modified version of reset.cmd from here and save the file in
    3. C: \ Program Files \ Windows Resource Kits \ Tools
    4. Open Command Prompt and type the Following (hit Enter):
      cd c: \ program files \ windows resource kits \ tools
    5. Now type reset.cmd and hit Enter (You need to make sure you are logged in as administrator).

I was also having the same problem. This finally Worked for me!! That I saw everyone else had no problem but i sure did! Be sure to turn off the User Account Control Before trying to do this. . Click "start" + "control panel" + IN SECURITY AREA "check this user's security status" + OTHER SECURITY SETTING IN "turn of user account control" and restart the computer.

This works but I had immense to replicate it many times before I figured out what the dilemma was. I Have Vista Business 64 bit and I do not know if that makes a disparity but when I installed the file Subinacl.exe it did NOT go in C: \ Program Files \ Windows Resource Kits \ Tools. It went in to C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Windows Resource Kits \ Tools so I reset.cmd When I saved the file in the C: \ Program Files \ WRK \ Tools folder and then did the command prompt it did kept annoying and I work in anticipation of I realized that was QuickTime installed in the Program Files (x86) folder, not the plain Program Files folder. PLEASE Pay Attention When doing your installations because my fault / sloppiness will SAVE you a lot of time and nuisance. ONCE I figure out what I doing wrong was the Entire process was super fast and super easy and super to say the slightest! Bravo for a great fix - as long as you pay attention to where you being files are stored. I conjecture that each computer is different each operating system or is anyway, like Vista Home, Vista Business and then when you have 32 or 64 bit on top of the position of files that can vary vaguely, but it even if it will throw the Entire process off and make you even more crazy trying to "fix" your quandary than what you were when you could not get QuickTime to work! Thanks again to everybody and I hope you the best of luck and Give You a heartfelt warning to be more Than I Was Careful.

The solution that you have provided was not useful for Vista Home Premium system with Internet Explorer 8 Beta. When I pressed on an IE link Quicktime it would only permit me to SAVE the file with veto option to PLAY. Also I would like to mention that I wasn't getting the error 46 message. There are several typo's in the "RESET.CMD" Which stop working to change file permissions when execute. I edited the file but it still did not fix the quandary. In some cases it could be edited to include the fix I used registries. I fixed the problem by Modifying permissions in the "Registry." Before you do these, save a Registry back-up so you can get reverse to the un-modified description if it does not work.

Where do I find: 2.Download modified version of reset.cmd from here and save the file in

I want to download it but from where? There isn't a link.

In the cmd prompt, type notepad reset.cmd and click yes to open Notepad.exe and create a new text file named reset.cmd
    Copy and paste the following contents into reset.cmd :
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________
    cd /d "%programfiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=YOURUSERNAME=f /setowner=administrators > %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
    subinacl /keyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=YOURUSERNAME=f /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /grant=everyone=r /grant=restricted=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
    subinacl /keyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /grant=everyone=r /grant=restricted=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
    subinacl /keyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt

subinacl /subdirectories %programfiles%\ /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=e >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt

subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\ /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=e >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________

Last edited by donek; 20-11-2011 at 03:41 AM.

ThumbsUp Re: Help with QuickTime ActiveX error 46 in Windows 7

Thanks so much! I can not believe that I have Quicktime working.