Thread: Graphical frontend for the upx compressor

Graphical frontend for the upx compressor

I am looking for the graphical frontend for the upx compressor. I am not having enough idea about it, so thought to take some assistance from you guys. Please suggest me some graphical frontend that can be useful for the upx compressor. Also provide some information about the same. I think that I have mentioned enough for you people to understand. I am expecting some quicker responses from your side.

Re: Graphical frontend for the upx compressor

You can go for UPXHELPER V1.1.1 or UpxGui. Both are the best graphical frontend for the upx compressor. If you are interested in downloading it, then you will find this here. I am sure that you will definitely get your solution after downloading the mentioned applications.

Not bad, not bad ... It was a long time we did not talk UPX. A suggestion: why not store them in a configuration file the different choices of the user instead of forcing them into the event onFormCreate (unless the configuration file is found, of course)? In any case, congratulations for this new source of great clarity and well documented. If you are looking for the source code, I have attached it, so that it will be helpful for you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Since we are talking about reducing code size, it seems about a word on the software which propose to compress executables or DLLs to save space. Do not succumb to the siren call of their singing and misleading: if these programs give you the impression that the executable is actually smaller on the disc, on the contrary it will take a lot more space in memory once loaded! In a good reason: Windows know manage different blocks of an executable and not loaded into memory only what is useful. For example, an application containing 200 sheets, which would take 15 MB on disk and contains only 1 or 2 cards are created both only take up very little space in memory ... By compressing the executable software mentioned (UPX) by turning almost all of the EXE into a single block of data preceded by a charger (the part that decompresses and passes control to the uncompressed code in memory). In fact, Windows only sees one logical block and load everything into memory. An application will be charged in full in memory, slow Windows will force swapping and other similar nuisances. The compression technique executable can not, strictly speaking, be operated on very small applications (1 or 2 sheets), type utility, for example. But in this case the saving of space in MB is negligible. Finally, there is no case for using lattice compression programs.

This point of view that denies this which I oppose. Gone are the days of my Amiga and his 512K, my old HP PC 4GB 2 years and my laptop. All that to say that it is often the standard configuration proposed so win or lose 1mo to launch an executable in my opinion is less annoying than winning a multi-megabyte USB drive is located on the portable versions of most software I use. So "for me" this program useful. When I started programming in assembler on the Amiga is maximized hyper won any byte and the least CPU cycle, when we see a simple "Hello world" on a sheet of Delphi is 700KB is far from mind to optimize everything.

To this I would say that gone are the days of 12MB USB keys, it is difficult today to find keys <1GB. So I found the posts relevant because, if this technique is used to compress an exe of comfortable size, it loses all usefulness of the partial loading of the executable that makes sense on applications of this size.

Photoshop CS4 Portable is already 1.8 GB, not to mention others that I use very frequently in both graphics and developing sites. My key is just 16GB is almost complete. As you already created a journal as a Publisher in high quality? Some files are over 100MB in quality for printing. It is very fast when you put out a weekly 16-page! I have no problem of memory and no disk swapped cons but if I can scrape it with 20MB or there, well then I'm happy because I am more useful here. Everyone looks at his door as needed.

Photoshop CS4 Portable is already 1.8 GB, not to mention others that I use very frequently in both graphics and developing sites. My key is just 16GB is almost complete. As you already created a journal as a Publisher in high quality? Some files are over 100MB in quality for printing. It is very fast when you put out a weekly 16-page! I have no problem of memory and no disk swapped cons but if I can scrape it with 20MB or there, well then I'm happy because I am more useful here. Everyone looks at door as needed.

UPX compressed file located in the same location where it was at the time of compression. UpxG is useful precisely because they can compress files by simply clicking the right mouse button on the executable or DLL that you want to reduce size, selecting "pack with Upxg (voice can be changed at will), while the same operation made directly with UPX requires you to open a DOS window and manually enter the full path to be reduced. The same procedure is used to decompress, which takes a while, unlike the compression can take a long time ranging from seconds to many minutes depending on file size, level of compression required and the characteristics of your HW, the species RAM (not to exceed 7 for large files over 2MB do not wait for 10 minutes).

Believe me, I never unzipped a file upxato "I've never had problems with this file type (and I've also compressed dll). The installation programs or updates upxato recognize the file exactly as the original. However, to gain confidence, simply make a copy of the file to compress and try to see if something happens after it is compressed the original. If the file is not compressible (it happens with. Exe installation or some dll), it is packed: UPX command line gives an error message with the plea, with upxg you cannot read because the window Dos disappears immediately. Remember that before you compress it removed any read-only attribute, which can subsequently be rehabilitated on the compressed file.

Tip of the Day: as noted, allows UPX compressed executable files even more traditional zipped files, while maintaining the enforceability, unlike the latter. However, has a drawback: the files compressed with UPX working more quickly, because when they are called into question, their code is loaded completely in RAM (normally, but are opened in RAM only the code parts that are), so If you enjoyed half to compact HD (you can do, among other things you can delight in zipping the files compressed with upx: it will be smaller than the same zip file but not previously compressed with UPX) Remember that if you then open many files simultaneously you'll need more free RAM than normal. In conclusion, do not overdo it with upx when you have little RAM.