Thread: Outlook 2010 shuts down

Outlook 2010 shuts down

I bought a new computer with MS Office 2010 preloaded on it. I started up Outlook. For some reason the auto connect feature didn't work so I had to set it up manually. I am not a computer wizard, but when prompted what type of email service I had, I picked exchange server, then filled in my isp information. I am guessing this was an incorrect selection because here it what happens when I open Outlook:
    I first get an alert stating:"The connection to microsoft exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete the action."

I have no idea what this means. Anyway, when I click "ok"
    I get a new pop up asking me to verify the name, then click okay when done. Again, I have no idea what this means, but I am guessing that the information I initially entered when setting up Outlook was incorrect so it is trying to get me to input correct data. But I have no idea what the correct data is.

so I click "ok" again:

a new alert message: "Cannot open your default email folders. The file C:/****/appdata/local/microsoft/***.ost. is not an outlook tata file."

then the program shuts down with no oportunity to change my original settings.

What do I do? Please help.

Re: Outlook 2010 shuts down

If a firewall exists in front of the Exchange server, users may be unable to log on to their mailbox if a static mapping is removed. For more information about how to remove the static mapping, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base. I think you should have to visit the Microsoft.

johnmichle515 Guest

Hi !

Try to follow these steps to resolve your Outlook 2010 shuts down problem:
    1. Go to Tools >> Options
    2. Click the Other tab
    3. Choose Advanced Options
    4. Click Add-In Manager
    5. Uncheck Xprint Add-in
    6. Click OK till you're back in Outlook
    7. Try to print an e-mail & close out with the X in the
    top right corner.

I hope this will help you.

Thanks

nope, doesn't help. I can't even get Outlook to load up to even get to a "tools" tab. I am using windows 7.

the program kicks me out before I have the opportunity to change anything.

I am at my wits end, please read my post carefully.

Someone help!!!!

You will need to download a outlook repair tool. That can be downloaded from the official site of Microsoft. Just download and run the tool. It will fix the issues of the same. Or else you can simply run Windows Update for that. There are some security fix provided for the same. This can be due to some system error issue in Windows file. Some critical system file is missing.

Hi,

You want to reset your outlook account:
    1. In Windows7 go to Start > Control Panel and look for Mail. If you cannot find it type “mail” in the search box on the top right. Then click Mail.
    2. This will bring up the Mail Setup dialog box with Show Profiles section
    3. In most cases you will just have one mail profile. If you delete this profile then all your Outlook settings will be reset to default. To delete click Remove and then press OK.

Now access outlook 2010 and it will start with its default startup detail. This time ensure you enter the correct occount details.