Thread: Automatic Shutdown after Windows 7 Backup

Automatic Shutdown after Windows 7 Backup

On my system I am using Windows 7. At first I was using Windows XP and then after this I upgraded to Windows 7. I did not go for the Windows Vista. I have heard that when we upgrade some of the features of the software can not be achieved. Is it really true? Also I wanted to know if it is possible to shutdown the system automatically after a Windows 7 Backup has run? Please suggest. Thanks in advance.

Re: Automatic Shutdown after Windows 7 Backup

I have somewhat a similar query, but I will ask it in this way, is it possible to start the Backup and Restore in Windows 7 from the command prompt. I have posted this similar queries in many other forums but failed to get the answers. I hope that at least I would get the solution here. Also I would like to know that after the completion of the backup can the automatic shutdown run immediately. I would be thankful to you in all respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Shantimay View Post
    I have somewhat a similar query, but I will ask it in this way, is it possible to start the Backup and Restore in Windows 7 from the command prompt. I have posted this similar queries in many other forums but failed to get the answers. I hope that at least I would get the solution here. Also I would like to know that after the completion of the backup can the automatic shutdown run immediately. I would be thankful to you in all respect.
    Yes absolutely, it can be done, but it totally depends on the version of Windows 7 that you are using. Depending on the version you might get different results as well. The Ultimate and the Pro versions of Windows 7 contain a backup program known as Wbadmin. Wbadmin Enables you to back up and restore your operating system, volumes, files, folders, and applications from a command prompt. If the version of Windows that you are using is other then this then you will be in the pickle. It will allow you to start using the command line, but it will end up in launching the GUI. Using the Wbadmin the thing can be scheduled using task scheduler.

You all can try to go by my way instead if you wish to do so. In the application log I ended up setting a task to watch for the backup complete event. Please see how I did this:
    • The first step is to open the Task Scheduler.
    • Then create a new but basic task.
    • Once created then enter the description for that task.
    • From the log drop down menu select the application.
    • From the source drop down menu select backup.
    • Now enter 4098 as the event ID.
    • On the action screen select Start a program
    • Now enter Shutdown in the Program/Script text box.
    • In the argument box type /s.
    • Now click on Next and then Finish.
    • Lastly in order to confirm that the task is working run a backup.

I am very much upset with what Microsoft is doing. It should not be necessary to use complex workarounds for something basic like the one mentioned above. Many other freeware programs even include this function of shutting down the program, after the completion of the process. So, why we have to do all this things to shutdown Windows. Why doe not it includes this option itself after backup? The sleep function in Windows 7 is also useless since it just ignores any running programs and puts the computer to sleep on schedule, interrupting ongoing backups, movie encodes, etc.

I totally agree with your opinion Raine. This is the main reason why there are many applications that are used with Windows. I hardly care about the Windows backup. Since I use Comodo Backup v1.04. I have been using this from long time and had no problem with it. I also agree that Windows should include this feature, as it is very basic in nature indeed. I would also suggest you all to use Comodo if it could be possible for you all.