Thread: Difference between Visual Basic and Access

Difference between Visual Basic and Access

Hello,
    I am currently studying computer science and I am new to programming language and database concepts. So, I have heard that Visual Basic and Access can be used for same purpose. I am really confused with these softwares. Can any one please let me know what are the differences between Visual Basic and Access? Thank you.

Re: Difference between Visual Basic and Access

Please do not get confused with both the software's, as Visual Basic is a programming language and Access is a database management system. So, if I am not wrong then both these software are not the same. A programming language is some thing that is used to build softwares and database is a software which holds the entire data of an organization / office.

The above post is correct and I would like to add some more details to it. Visual Basic is a programming language whcih is used by programmers to write code and the software which is created, stores the data in the database. There are many database softwares, some of them are MS SQL, Oracle et. , these are all relational databases. But Access is not a relational database so it can not be used for large organizations or industries.

I have not worked with Visual Basic but surely access as a database is excellent. I have done a lot of projects with access as a database. The access database has a large number of functions which can be helpful while storing the data. You can even use Access in your Visual Basic code as a back end for your project. I think the combination of both is a perfect match.

If you are a programmer and if you want to do a project then I would recommend you to work more with Visual Basic rather than Access, because Visual Basic provides many functionalities such as, you can embed music, video and even design forms. Using Access you can only design a simple form which will give you access to the database which you have created. Visual Basic also can access the same database. So, if you have many functions and have the capability to access the database then why not use Visual Basic rather than Access.