Thread: How do I configure SMTP on WHS

How do I configure SMTP on WHS

I finished the installation of WHS on a high-end computer system (Quad-core 2.8GHz Intel proc, 4GB RAM memory , 2x1TB HDD SATA disks) and it is going very fine . I do, however, need to perform the installation of a task scheduling application upon the server that will remind the email task to single one to whom the jobs have been allocated . I gather that the application works with the SMTP to send the Emails, but I don't have any idea about that.

Re: How do I configure SMTP on WHS

This is also not suggested. Actually, Windows Home Server is not created for managing general task onto the server, or to be implemented as the "Windows Server 2003 Lite". So there are restrictions which are effectively "built in", because they don't matter within the intended use situations, and they make something simpler for the Windows Home Server team. In order to this , SMTP is assumes as one of the most-worst and easily hacked services onto the internet. So that several ISPs are moving to block entire SMTP except via their own established servers.

So many thanks for your suggestion and helpful information. It is very valuable for me in the current situation. I am so glad to bear the risk of working with this and find it is not compatible after your suggestion . I also unable to get any particular violation of the EULA, specially as this is not a commercial application but is currently running to the demo/test the program.

The printed EULA states which is making active the Windows Server 2003 functions, which are not activated with the default installation of Windows Home Server and also is not allowed . This very section is so clear in the German version of the EULA, and I think that it is also in the English one.

Commonly, it is technically possible working with the normal method assured from Server 2003 to perform the same, but it still does not configure the above fact. In some situation, activating such functions may cause the bad effect on your Windows Home Server functionality.In different way, the system will restarts each one or two hours.

I actually need not to work with the server as a mail server entirely , just activate the SMTP so that the application which I am just evaluating will be performed completely . Commonly, I would like to make a restore point, install the software, trial this and then move back to the server to the restore point, but I am not just considering that the Windows Home Server has such type of functionality. I will mostly have to go for a standard backup and restore procedure of the server.