Thread: VMWare Server on WHS

VMWare Server on WHS

Hello,
    Do you have an experience with VMWare Server on WHS? So far I know only the VMWare Player and Workstation. What can I do better with the server as the workstation? For me would be interesting to see if I have the server the ability to use the programs on the clients too, and if so how. The other would be if I create workstation with VM machines on the VMWare server can use. My WHS is more equipped minimal, so I wanted to actually run the main burden on the client and wanted to drop only the VM machines centrally, that I use it everywhere. Can you help me with this? Thank you.

Re: VMWare Server on WHS

Server is a host of vmware, should have enough steam, as he more or less runs parallel computer. virtualization needs even a little more power as a real machine, since the real server must simulate the hardware - that means additional effort. So this is better performance, you should use the cpu of housing areas provide for virtualization, which relieves the computer significantly. VMware offers advantages over other providers because it can already host 64-bit systems (even on 32 bit systems, would be interesting if the new whs comes out).

Can I then run on the VMWare Server 2.0 also ready VM machines that were created with VM Workstation or should I reinstall everything? If you can explain me this concept then it would be great.

Usually it can be accepted, since the systems are relatively the same, which are simulated. But before doing a safety precaution copy of the vm, if it still should not work, one can use the vmware converter, so you can even convert a real computer in virtualized machines (this is not compatible with all of them).

Do you who have experience with VMWare server on the WHS?
    Yes, I have ...

What can the server better than the workstation?
    With vmware you have the opportunity to all VMs from any PC to administer.
    Moreover, you need only the VMWare Server Console in addition to / the PC (s) to install. Alternatively, the whole thing done via the browser. Moreover, vmware free.

would be interesting for me if I can have with the server, the clients also use the programs and if so how.
    Basically, you can install any software on a VM and use. The only exceptions I know of are applications that require a 3D graphics card (eg games), since VmWare "only" one "SVGA 2" card (2D simulation).

The other would be if I create workstation with machines on the VMWare Server VM.
    Yes, no problem.

My WHS is more equipped minimal, so I really wanted to run over the main burden of the client and VM machines centrally storing wanted only that I can use it anywhere.
    Here, then, the use of VMWare Workstation on a powerful PC would be more appropriate. The data of the VM (including the virtual disks) You can then pack as the WHS, so that you can access them from any computer.

In principle, it should pose no problem to the VMware Player to run on the WHS, since this is a stripped down version of VMware Workstation. However it turns me the question why you want to abuse the server as a desktop replacement? I suggest to use the VMware Server. As for the performance of your system, I can not answer you, however, because I have not used it.