Thread: How to recover WHS?

How to recover WHS?

Hello,
    A few months before I had installed the Windows Home Server on my brand new computer. Now I have some virus or trouble with the operating system. But the main difficulty is that I do not have the recovery image to the system nor I had taken the backup of the disk. So, if there any option I can take a backup or the system or recovery my disk? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: How to recover WHS?

I had the first WHS installed on my Shuttle SB62.

First experience:
    The hard drives were running through permanently and have not calmed down after 2 days. System was fully utilized continuously and the CPU to almost 100% on Intel 2.6 GHz. Memory upgraded to 2 GB -> system at least was available again.

RAID installed:
    In order not to constantly going through hard drives, I have a HW RAID controller Delock 70 096 - comparable with Adaptec 1210) (incorporated. RAID 1 on, but broke after 1 day Mirroring error with. Then HW RAID controller (Highpoint RochetRAID 2210) purchased and installed. First disappointment: RAID 1 disks must be initialized before use, ie hard drive must be empty. Because I do not save existing data that could, RocketRAID I have the hard drives again and again extended directly to the on-board SATA controller connected to. Here I do not remember if I hard drives or just the system drive connected have both the same.

Surprising :
    When booting from WHS many error messages appear, indicating that it is not (although only one plate was in it and non was switched on). Moreover - and this has shocked me: The only drive in the system (the former memory drive was) in the WHS Console not shown as "intended for the storage disk. And even though I have the WHS booted from this disk. Repair the WHS Console will not work.

Reinstall:
    I will probably need to install my new WHS. Now my questions:
    - Have now ordered a new hard drive. Should I install WHS on that drive new or choose "WHS Restore?
    - Why did my WHS properly activated online. Now when I sit up again, I can activate again?
    - RAID HighPoint RocketRAID: When I turn on RAID and the controller fails, can I still need to access the data? Are there any RAID controller, where you do not initialize the disks for RAID1 must say RAID1 can turn subsequently. What RAID controller do you use?
    - Do I need to install the Connector software on the clients again?
    - How can the backups (backups of the clients) to save memory on my old hard drive?
    - Probably via USB hard drive connected, but where can I find the backup?

I guess hopefully some one will answer this question.

Re: How to recover WHS?

I have tried to answer your questions

Question 1:
    Choose reinstall WHS, while all data is lost in the hard disk tool, so just install the new hard drive and install the system on it. Previously all the data on DATA secure, to see question 4 The re-installation of the OS has the advantage of not dwelling on "legacy", the new system is clean.

Question 2:
    Install the WHS, a repeated on-line activation (for me at least 5 has x) has so far brought no problems.
    Tip: Enable remove the check mark at the beginning of the installation automatically for online connectivity, "You can catch up later.

Question 3:
    To my knowledge you can then no longer access data on the disks, only if you have the same board or the same RAID hardware controller available. The Raid controller onboard are usually software-based controller, to be replaced at the breakdown, the existing board with an identical, to get access again. The same applies in principle for Raid controller are hardware-based, with simple in this case a card is replaced as a board.

Question 4:
    The backups (data) can be read correctly. Connecting the hard drive via USB or even just when you insert the disk into a second XP PC internally, better yet, an existing eSATA port. Your questions are very large, have responded here shortly on it.

If you have problem's then here is the thread that can help you
    WHS bootdisk dead: how to reinstall WHS without losing data ?