Thread: Scripture in Character encoding

Scripture in Character encoding

The question may seem stupid, as the writing remains a primary way our civilizations for communication. Witness these pages. The main problem is, we know, the multitude of languages around the world, many who use it even a multitude of symbols in its written form. If the Latin alphabet is probably the most used include the already large amount of symbols and emphases altered by other contractions such as the infamous "e in o (œ). I am here to know something more about the scripture in character encoding. I hope that somebody will help me.

Re: Scripture in Character encoding

Latin alphabet is, even with all the changes that it knows well enough to enable the writing of all languages such as Greek, Hebrew, Arabic, Russian and even without speaking Asian languages. We can classify printers into two broad categories that are useful to understand about the scripture:
    • printers or games whose characters are formed mechanically. Even if they no longer apply today, they were among the first. Since the ancestors using a set of hammers as the mechanical typewriters, to "Daisies" (a cake made of flexible material, consisting of petals, each with a character) through the ball with IBM printers was the champion. In all these cases, the symbols are engraved on a mechanical support and the printing is done by striking an ink ribbon interposed between the striking tool and paper;
    • printers whose character sets are formed from a dot matrix. Since the old matrix printers to laser through the inkjet, the principle is to draw the characters by printing points. The printer then has tables that contain a representation "bitmap" of all the characters, these tables can be loaded into the memory of the printer or downloaded on demand.

If it is a mechanical printing process daisy type or ball, a code is capable of locating the body mechanics to the right place to print the desired character. A change in shape of characters involves a change of the mechanical. If it is a dot matrix system, each character is drawn in a table and the system has to pick the right design. Of course, this system is more flexible and usually offers several fonts.

For displays, is the graphical interface with its "driver", but also the operating system itself that is responsible for this work. What is important to understand is that for the message content to print, there must be a code that defines perfectly all characters of the alphabet of one (or more) Language (s) given (s). This code, in the case of communicating systems, as is the case on the Internet, must be adopted by all the parties who decide to communicate with each other, or else, it will show aberrations in the display text.

Imagine that the computer has not always been so complicated. Here is an example of computer terminal high current at a certain time. This magnificent creature, called "hot" in the name of the company that manufactured (Younger can not know the machine in 1967) was used to communicate with a computer through a serial RS232 we always know, even if his days are numbered. In those early days of computing, the CRT device was not aware. We used readily in place a printer, usually ball or daisy wheel. This machine also had a reader / punch paper tape (hole / no hole -> 1 / 0).

Why not base 10 to which we are accustomed from our childhood? Because, unfortunately, 10 is not a power of 2 and a "digit" decimal does not represent all the combinations that can be done with a group of n bits. 4 is too (hexadecimal) and 3 is not enough (octal). More mathematically, we can not find integer value of n such that 10 = 2 n. Try to solve n = log (10) / log (2).

My great thanks to this post. You have given nice and useful information about scripture in character encoding. By these I get idea about character encoding. I really appreciate your work. I hope people many will find these very useful.