Thread: default program settings

unsure default program settings

Hi all,i'm looking for some advice,i am having an intermittant problem with default settings,sometimes when i log on i am unable to open either I E 8 or firefox,i get a dialog box in i e 8 stating that a program on my computer has corrupted my default search provider,i have reset default programs as recommended and this usually fixes the problem,but then when i log on again i have the same problem,i also have noticed that when attempting to log off and shutdown pc,i get a dialog box saying "you do not have permission to shut down this computer"i have tried disabling UAC to see if this was causing problem,but does not appear so,i have full administrator access rights,my o s is vista basic sv pk 2 32 bit.

Thanks toonboy.

Re: default program settings

It seems that you have the Sasser worm inside your pc and there is a few variations but all major antivirus companies provide removal tools. Are you using any antivirus software in your pc? You can try doing your scans in "SAFE MODE"? Are you doing scans while logged into the Administrator's account or an account with administrator privileges? You can also Use the "Run As" Command to Start a Program as an Administrator.

Thanks for your suggestions Zachary,i will try them and see what happens,i have Kaspersky antivirus and will try doing a scan to see if it picks up anything first.

Hi Zachary,i have scanned my pc with Kaspersky and nothing was found,i have been researching the Sasser worm on the web,and it states that it only infects windows 2000 and xp versions,i am using vista,and also the characteristics of the sasser worm do not appear to be present on my pc,i think when my pc tells me that i do not have permission to shut down pc,it is more to do with my user account settings,and the fact that IE states that a program is corrupting default search provider,at the moment pc appears to be running normally and all security settings are fine,but thanks for the advice.

Re: default program settings

You can try to empty your Temporary Internet Files and shrink the size it stores to about 80 to 120MB (seems to be an optimal size for the normal user)

- Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer.
    - Select TOOLS -> Internet Options.
    - Under the General tab in the "Temporary Internet Files" section, do the following:
    - Click on "Delete Cookies" (click OK)
    - Click on "Settings" and change the
    "Amount of disk space to use:" to something between 80MB and 120MB. (Betting it is MUCH larger right now.)
    - Click OK.
    - Click on "Delete Files" and select to
    "Delete all offline contents" (the checkbox) and click OK. (If you had a LOT, this could take 2-10 minutes or more.)
    - Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer
    - Re-open Internet Explorer.

Stop loading applications at logon and run MSCONFIG and look under the startup tab for things you DON'T want to startup!