Thread: Unable to Enable Bitlocker with TPM

Unable to Enable Bitlocker with TPM

My problem is that I am not able to enable Bitlocker by using the TPM. I am looking for an information that explains backing Up BitLocker and TPM. Since I don't have enough knowledge, I want to know about working of TPM. Also I am expecting some notes about the TPM chip. I think that you guys might have got an ideas about my requirements So please provide the notes that can be useful for me.

Re: Unable to Enable Bitlocker with TPM

I would like to explain how the BitLocker works.
    Case A (Startup Disk): Windows Boot Manager (Windows Boot Manager) is installed on an unencrypted partition (partition in Windows 7 is already generated by default in Windows Vista partition is generated when applying bitlocker ) and to detect that the requested boot partition is encrypted, will ask the TPM chip master key or asked to enter the USB flash drive containing the key. The TPM chip in turn may ask (if configured) a shorter key to the user.

Case B (disk storage): The process is the same as in the case B, but this is the system that requires the master key to the TPM chip or USB flash drive that the user enters.

Manufacturers of motherboards are not cryptographic chip to implement this, so usually we can not use BitLocker with a TPM. The available alternative is to use a portable USB flash memory where we store the master key AES256, unencrypted. Without this key will be impossible without breaking the encryption (which is currently not achieved), access to data on the disc.

The lucky ones that have this chip on your motherboard may be stored on a chip encryption key that only allow access to them as permitted or when we have the key cut which must be known by the user of the machine or, When moving the machine's hard drive that can not be started because the TPM chip in the new machine (if any) will not provide the correct password and the system can not charge; The data will be unreadable. Apart from any criminal activity the police would have no possibility without the master key to access to evidence or documents of the "criminals", the leading user-level implementation is to encrypt the contents of our laptops. In case of theft of it, the thief could not access our personal information.

Backing up BitLocker recovery password-protected for a drive permits administrators to recover the drive if it is locked. Make certain that this encrypted data to the enterprise dog belonging always be accessed by endorsed users. Backing up the TPM owner information for a computer allows administrators in the vicinity and remotely configure the TPM security hardware on that computer. As an illustration, an administrator might desire to reset the TPM to factory defaults or repurposing Decommissioning when computers.

In a default installation BitLocker, information recuperation is not backed up local users and must be conscientious for keeping a copy of the recovery password or recovery key. If the user neglects loses that information or to decrypt the drive before leaving the organization, the administrator cannot effortlessly get access to the drive. To alleviate this situation, administrators can configure Group Policy settings to enable backup of BitLocker and TPM recovery information. Before configuring these settings, as a domain administrator you must make certain that the Active Directory schema has the storage locations NECESSARY and that have been approved access permissions to perform the backup.

I love how all these replies try to sound so "Technical and Scientific". My Doctoral dissertation for my PhD in Computer Science, was not so complex sounding. Most of their complicated jibber jabber, is not even grammatically correct.

If you want to know more, you can read my article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module.

It's not pseudo-techno sounding as these other posters. it is however, more comprehensive and more correct than their postings.
    Last edited by TangoOneEnterprises; 02-01-2012 at 06:41 PM.