Thread: Offline files save to alternate partition

Offline files save to alternate partition

Hey guys !! When I have done the installation of Window 7, I made another a different partitions for system and data in the same way. When I made enable the Offline Files, it stores such type of files in the small specified system partition, that is rapidly filling this up . How do I configure this location to the (larger) data partition ?

Re: Offline files save to alternate partition

This can be performed via a Directory Junction that can redirect for a different destination of offline files.

The Offline Files are saved within the directory %SystemRoot%\CSC (that can be commonly is C:\Windows\CSC or a different drive caption in place of C). First of all, you have to create a directory on a partition with large space and provide this an informative title,states D:\Offline Folders as a suggestion.

You have to remove the existing directory and create a junction in its destination. For this, boot within the Safe Mode as an administrator and remove the CSC contents and directory. del /s /q %SystemRoot%\CSC should to the job.

Having made a new location folder, and removing the already stored CSC folder, now is time to make a Directory Junction for CSC directory with the below suggested commands:

mklink /J %SystemRoot%\CSC <new-folder-path>

Just be sure about the points described as follows :

- Boot the computer system in Safe Mode (be sure that the files are not in lock mode, etc)
    - You are running as an Administrator (that you did, I thought )
    - When you find the Prompt,make a right-click on the Command Prompt command and choose the option specified as Run as administrator
    - Type out the cmd within the Start menu Search box, and issue the key such as Ctrl+Shift+Enter to come into the administrator mode. (it is the same as indicating to the Command Prompt, right-click onto the same and choose Run as administrator).

Now, issue the command rmdir /s /q %SystemRoot%\CSC

Thanks for the help and suggestion but the issue is continuously going on in mind. When I have done the installation of Windows 7, I have made different partitions for the Operating system /program files and data. When I made enabled the Offline Files, it stores such type of files on the small created OS/program partition that is filling this up very frequently . How do I get the Windows 7 to store the Offline Files on the wide data partition section ?

If the error is getting generated as as "Cannot create a file that already exists", then you know. It is indicating as CSC folder is still there. Perhaps you have removed only the extra stuff and left the empty directory?

Ah! Correction: Sorry, the command that I have suggested was del, should be used as rmdir to "remove directory". you need to try the following things specified as :

rmdir /s /q %SystemRoot%\CSC

Equally, you are able to perform this in the Windows Explorer by locating to the \CSC directory, right click and choose the Delete command.

Still there is no joy . It still indicates me that "Access is denied" or that I require the appropriate privileges from the Administrators to delete the CSC directory. The sub-directories within the CSC known as "v2.06"has a padlock icon on the lower left of the directory icon. When I move into the Properties for the v2.06 directory, it is marked as the Read Only and when I try to disable the check option then it comes up with the Access Denied alert message stating that I have to be with the administrator permission to modify the values of the specified attributes. When I tried to find out the properties for CSC it also is checked as being Read Only and I received the same response as getting above when I try to disable the check option.