Thread: How to disable old, disconnected offline folders in Win7

How to disable old, disconnected offline folders in Win7

I performed the installation of Windows 7 onto my desktop. Before doing all these things , I also finished the upgradation on my laptop, which is running with the offline connection with a shared folder placed on my desktop. Now, after updating my desktop, I am getting an offline folder still placed there (inactive/grayed/disconnected) within the the sync partnership, that locates to the previously shared folder on my desktop that does not exist now ! I am unable to get back and remove this since that partition on my desktop is invisible or completely lost .

Do you have any idea to remove out this connection from my laptop ?

Re: How to disable old, disconnected offline folders in Win7

The Offline files cache is a directory structure stored at the %SystemRoot%\CSC folder that is invisible by default. The CSC directory and any files and subfolders it stors, should not be changed directly; performing so can result in data loss and a proper breakdown of Offline Files activity.

1. From the Folder Options, on the Offline Files tab, issue the Ctrl and Shift, and then click on the Delete Files options . The following message would be displayed :

The Offline Files cache on the local system will be move through the re-installation. Any type of changes which have not been synchronized with the system onto the network will be wiped out. Any files or folders made available offline will no longer be stay in the offline mode. A system reboot is needed in this case.

If you desired to re-initialize the cache?

2. Click on the Yes two times to reboot the system.

If the problem is still going on in the same way then I would advice you to modify the registry configuration and check whether it would be helpful . But before you configure or change the windows registry.

I would advice you to go for the creation of restore point and then go ahead with the further steps. For creating a restore point , go through the steps suggested below.

1. Open System after clicking on the Start button,make a right click on the Computer and then choose Properties.

2. from the left pane, click on the System protection. If you are required for the admin password or any type of confirmation,then you have to issue the valid password or provide confirmation.

3. Click onto the System Protection tab and click on the Create button.

4. From the System Protection dialog box, type out a explanation and then click on the Create button .

If you are able to get the Offline Files tab, follow the method of reinitialization of the Offline Files (CSC) cache on the system by making changes into the windows registry. Go through the method also to reinitialization of offline files database/client-side cache on more than one systems. Add the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\NetCache
    Key Name: FormatDatabase
    Key Type: DWORD
    Key Value: 1

I was creating the folders which is available for offline use in my Windows 7 Ultimate edition. We are running within the process of switching to NAS servers (with new network title) and I am sure that syncing procedure with the NAS servers is not functioning properly currently.

So, I disabled the check mark from entire folders to make them as unavailable for the offline. I have also move to "Manage Offline Files" and have used to remove entire offline configured files for the network drive. However, there is one Network Drive which I am unable to get remove no matter what I try... I used to remove the Offline Copy for the drive (that it states is successful), but the network drive and a folder branch remain when I get the Offline Files. Also, when I get this directory location within the Windows Explorer, it occurs the status of "Offline Availability: Available". .

Had the similar issue before some months . At the end had to reinitialize the offline files cache entirely:

Browse the registry editor (WARNING: Only for Advanced Users)
    Just navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Csc
    Associate the new one key (folder) knwon Parameters
    Within the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Csc\Parameters, associate a new one DWORD known as FormatDatabase and configures the value with 1

You will have to restart the computer afterwards.

Thanks for the suggestion and it has fixed my issues ! I had used to go through different way of issuing the command line to associate the registry configuration to reconfigure the database, but that is not going feasible . I move to try the same method of using REGEDIT and the above steps and it resolved my issue !