Thread: Autohotkey problem

Autohotkey problem

I have created a program in Autohotkey but the problem that I am facing is that it only works in Windows XP and Vista computer and not for Windows 7. I have a lot of users who use Windows 7 but since they are unable to use it, I have to listen a lot of scolding from them. The code is all about reading from a file which includes a null character at the end and my code manuplate with this information to produce some result. However I am unable to understand where does the operating system plays any part in this operation and so why doesn't this program work on Windows 7 computer. Please help me!

Re: Autohotkey problem

The operating system certainly places an important role, a timer runs when the code is fetching the information from the file and also when your manipulations are done by your code. This is where the problem might occur. But I am not sure, its just a guess. I would suggest not to use it if its not working. BTW is there anything like TRY CATCH as we have in JAVA? If it is then use it and see what message you get.

I think the problem is in your code. Might be in the manipulation and interpretation. Basically might be the file that you are reading contains nothing and still you are asking the code to perform something. Its better to add some additional code and experiment a lot to get some better result.

This is just a notification problem I think. If there is a file named abc.lnk located at “C:\Users\username\Desktop\” and if you try to call this file as “C:\Users\username\Desktop\abc” then it will not work. This simply because you have not provided the extension. You must provide the extensions to the file.

I think you should try AutoHotkey in Windows Vista or XP compatibility mode. Open the folder containing the application, right click on the exe file and select Properties. Click Compatibility tab. Choose “Run this program in compatibility mode for.” Select Windows XP/Windows Vista from the list. Select “Run this program as an administrator” option and then Apply for changes to take effect.