Thread: ACL problems under Mac OS X

ACL problems under Mac OS X

A few months ago started OS X to deny me access to certain files in my user orders. I solved the problem in each case, setting it as root opened, edited, or deleted, but that was obviously not a satisfactory solution. Because I should have had as evidenced by the UNIX permissions full access and the files were displayed in the terminal with a strange "+" icon :
    Code:
     -Rwxr-xr-x + 14 jan djangoproject wheel 476 June 10 20:59
    I remembered the Access Control Lists (ACL) that Apple had at some point. So I thought that posting here will help me.

Re: What creates the ACL problem?

I would like to tell you what exactly creates the ACL problem? Go to your users folder using the Terminal application, and type the following in the terminal window:
    Code:
     chmod-R = rw, + X username
    This will oblige Leopard to set the read and write permissions to the typical default to your user folder and to all files / folders recursively (this is what the-R is for) in your user folder (the + X will preserve any implement permissions that are currently set). After doing this you will again create the quandary.

Re: ACL problems under Mac OS X

Run the Terminal application (you should be in your home directory) and type:
    Code:
     ls-le
    This will record all your files and folders in your home directory, alongside with the ACL extensions to the file permissions. On some machine I get under each "permission affected" files or folders the following supplementary information.

Code:
    0: group: everyone deny delete
    So this "everyone" person is permitted not to obliterate any files (or rename them). And this "everyone" person is a "group" that includes EVERYONE including the user as well. Thus, since "everyone" cannot modify files, neither can the user. This part is perplexing at first to realize what is going on in Unix terminology generally since "everyone" only refers to the outside world, and not the user himself. I think Apple tried to utilize the ACL extension to prevent certain files / folder that Leopard Would not want the user to rename / delete (ie Pictures directory), but for various explanation Leopard is applying this to all files, folder, and contents of folders.

The elucidation is simple. Eliminate this ACL condition for all files or folders in your home directory. You classically can easily do this from the user folder level in Terminal, since the affected account so has the same ACL condition applied to it. Type ls-le to see if this condition is present for the exaggerated user account folder itself. If it is, then all you have to do is type is:
    Code:
     chmod-R-a # 0 username
    This will eliminate the ACL condition (numbered 0) from the user account folder, and all files or folders in it (the-R recursive condition causes this fix of all contents of all folders).

You may not be able to do this from the user folder level in Terminal if the user folder itself does not have this ACL condition. In this case, simply go to your home directory in Terminal, and fix to each file or folder within your home directory individually, and do this recursively to all contents of folders so you do not have to do it for the contents of the folders in your home directory. Type ls-le, and find which files / folders are affected, and for each affected file / folder type the following to remove their ACL condition:
    Code:
    chmod-R a # file_or_folder_name 0

You may not be able to do this from the user folder level in Terminal if the user folder itself does not have this ACL condition. In this case, simply go to your home directory in Terminal, and fix to each file or folder within your home directory individually, and do this recursively to all contents of folders so you do not have to do it for the contents of the folders in your home directory.
    After doing this, if you type "ls-le" in terminal window you will see that the ACL condition is gone from every fixed file or folder. So, if you do a Get Info in Finder on any fixed file / folder you will see in the permission section the phrase "You Can read and write." Should the problem be fixed this way permission by canceling the ACL conditions, I am not sure. But it is now fixed on my machine (not solved, but fixed) and I again have full access to all my files.