Thread: Cannot enable all users to access all applications loaded on Windows 7 PC

Cannot enable all users to access all applications loaded on Windows 7 PC

I have installed a lot of programs recently on my Windows 7 computer. The installation went normal and I can see those listed in my Add and Remove Programs. But the problem is whenever I try to use the same applications with some other limited account, I am unable to launch any of those. I don't understand why it is happening and how can I solve this. Is this software problem or I made some mistake anywhere? Please help me to solve the problem.

Re: Cannot enable all users to access all applications loaded on Windows 7 PC

It happens if the application is unable to handle individual user profiles. You can allow other users to make it usable by either going to the profile through which you have installed it and copy the Start Menu folder and Desktop folder shortcuts to the user profile from which you would like to use the software, or copy the same shortcuts to the All Users profile if you want it to be available for all the users of the computer.

This kind of behaviour is mostly observed with some games that are unaware about the new security scheme of Windows 7. Basically the limited account do have permission to write on C: drive and so if you start any game, a new profile is created and stored on the game folder but since the account has no write permission you get the access denied error.

It completely depends on the way you have installed that particular software. In general, when you install any software you are asked if you want to install this for the current user only, or for all users and if you select the first option then it is understandable that you will not be allowed to use the application from another account. The only solution left with you, in such a situation, is to reinstall the application once again and this time choose to the later option.

Rather than installing all the programs once again, its better to put the shortcut of those application on the Start Menu of each user who is allowed to use that application. All you need to do is go to Start Menu, right click on "All Programs" and select "Open". Now select "Open All Users". You may even go to either "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" for particular user and "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" for All Users. Simply copy the shortcut icons wherever required.