Thread: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1

I am using the Windows 7 on desktop machine and now i am having a problem with it. When i was working on my machine every time i keep getting the error message "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1.'' I am unable to get this thing working with the same. So if you are having the same then please let me know about the same. Thanks in advance.

Re: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1

You can solve some computer problems by checking a drive or drives for errors. For example, you can check your computer's primary hard disk to fix some performance issues, or you can check an external hard drive if it's not working properly. I will advise you to go through the below given link which will help you to know more about the same.
    Check for Errors.

I will advise you to go through the below given step that will help you to know more about the same. The step are involving the method to check the disk for the error. So try this out and see whether it is working for you or not.

Click on Start
    Click on Computer
    Right click on Drive
    Click on Properties
    Click on Tools Tab
    Click on Check Now under the Error Checking
    It will run for while and detect the error
    You are done.

If nothing is working for you then as per my suggestion you have to contact the Microsoft regarding the issue which you are getting i.e. " The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1" as they are the developer and can help you with the proper solution regarding the same. So if you can then go through the same.

I will advise run the full system scan that will help you with the same that you are going through by detecting the system if it is infected by any kind of the virus in the same. But make sure that the system of yours is running with the Latest update of the antivirus. So try this out and see whether it is working for you or not.

if possible for you then go through the below given step which will definitely solve the problem related to the disk error. I am having the same issue and i have tried this and the issue got resolved.

1. Go to My Computer
    2. Right Click on My Computer
    3. Select Manage
    4. Go to the System Tools
    5. Click on Device Manager
    6. Double Click on IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller
    7. Select the controller and double click on it
    8. Go to Advance Setting Tab
    9. Click on PIO Only in the Transfer Mode box.
    10. Click OK

After going through all the above replies if you are still unable to resolve the same then let me tell you that you have to contact the Microsoft regarding the issue and ask them about the same. They will provide you the help with the problem of yours and guide you if anything that need to be done on the system. So contact them and resolve the same.

Exclamation The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1

Hello TechArena, I Just want to confirm something,
    I'm using Windows 7 and not encountering any freezing nor BSOD, but everytime I check the EVENT VIEWER it annoys me to see the error message "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1" ... I check the disk manager and from what I see in there my primary harddisk is located in channel0/Disk 0 while Disk1 is from my removable USB flash drive.
    Does that mean the one mentioned in the EVENT was just actually my flash drive? Why was it called a harddisk???

Please someone confirm this for me because I'm getting paranoid if my harddisk is already starting to fail.

Thanks for any helpful reply... ^u^

You have to check the drive which is at error. For example, you can check your computer's primary hard disk to fix some performance issues, or you can check an external hard drive if it's not working properly.

1. Open Computer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Computer.

2. Right-click the drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check now. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will report problems but not fix them.

To perform a thorough check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the drive itself, and it can take much longer to complete.

To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

4. Click Start.