Thread: How to change or remove permissions for files and folders

How to change or remove permissions for files and folders

I am new user and having very less knowledge about the computers. One of my friend told me that posting here will be helpful. So thought that someone will help me. I want to change the permissions that are given to files and folders. So please tell me how to change or remove permissions for files and folders? I hope that some members will help me soon.

Re: How to change or remove permissions for files and folders

In Windows XP, you can apply permissions to files or folders located in volumes NTFS file system. Among the file and folder permissions include Full Control, Modify, Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read and Write. If you have not joined to a domain and want to see the Security tab:
    1. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click Appearance and Themes, then click Folder Options.
    3. Click the View tab, and then click to clear the check box Use simple file sharing (recommended) in the Advanced Settings box.

Before changing the permissions, you should keep the following points in mind :
    • The Everyone group does not include the Anonymous Logon permission.
    • You can set permissions on drives formatted to use NTFS file system.
    • To change the permissions must be the owner or the owner allows you to change the permissions.
    • Groups or users who are granted Full Control for a folder can delete files and subfolders in that folder, regardless of the permissions that protect the files and subfolders.
    • If the check boxes in the Permissions for box user group are shaded or if the Remove button is unavailable, the file or folder has inherited permissions from the parent folder. For more information about how inheritance affects files and folders, see Windows Help.
    • When you add a new user or group, by default the user or group has permissions Read and Execute, List Folder Contents and Read.

With the help of below steps, you can set, view, change or remove permissions on files and folders :
    1. Click Start, My Computer and locate the file or folder you want to set permissions.
    2. Click the right mouse button (click) the file or folder, click Properties and then click the Security tab.
    3. To set permissions for a group or a user who is not listed in the table of Group or user names, click Add, type the name of the group or user you want to configure permissions, and then click OK.
    4. To allow or deny a permission, click to select the checkbox Allow or Deny in the Permissions for user or group, where user or group is the name of the user or group.

After setting the permissions on a folder, innovative files and subfolders that are formed in the folder inherit these permissions. If you do not want the files and folders take over permissions, click this folder only in Apply onto box to set particular permissions for the folder. If you want to avert only certain files or subfolders from inheriting permissions, right-click the right mouse button (mouse) on the file or subfolder, click Properties, click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click to clear the check box Inherit from parent the permission entries that pertain to child objects.

If the check boxes are occupied, the file or folder has inherited permissions from the folder. There are three ways to make alterations to inherited permissions:
    • Formulate changes in the main folder, so that the file or folder inherits the permissions.
    • Right-click to select the contradictory permission (Allow or Deny) to override the inherited permission.
    • Clear the check box Inherit from parent the permission entries that relate to child objects. Include these with entries unambiguously defined here. When you do, you can change the permissions, or remove the user or group from the permissions list. However, the file or folder does not inherit permissions from the parent folder.

In most scenarios, deny overrides allow unless a folder inherits conflicting settings from dissimilar folders. When this takes place, the settings inherited from the parent folder closest to the object in the subtree have superiority.