Thread: Recovering Data Protected by BitLocker Drive Encryption in Windows 7

Recovering Data Protected by BitLocker Drive Encryption in Windows 7

I have recently started using the BitLocker Drive, so i am not having enough idea about it. I want to know how can I recover my data that is protected with the help of BitLocker drive encryption.?? I am using the Windows 7 as my operating system. I am hoping that someone hanging out there will help me in solving my doubt. Since I am not having much experience with the BitLocker, please explain me in detail. Any other information related to the topic would be grateful.

Re: Recovering Data Protected by BitLocker Drive Encryption in Windows 7

The scenario that you have described is the process of recovering data after BitLocker has switched to recovery mode. In the absence of key disk encryption, BitLocker locks the computer. Probable causes locking are:
    • An error on the validation of the Trusted Platform Module happens on a drive operating system.
    • The password for a drive data set protected by BitLocker is forgotten.
    • The smart card used for locking a removable data drive is lost.

So you will have to work accordingly.

When recovery of a drive is required, you must use the key to recovery from a USB flash drive, enter a password or request a recovery agent to recover data recovery drive. When the player's operating system must be recovered, you must use a console session running recovery from BIOS to enter the recovery information. Some systems use the function keys to enter numbers in this environment. In that case, the F1 to F9 are the numbers 1-9 and the F10 is the number 0.

To perform the procedures of Recovering Data Protected by BitLocker Drive Encryption in Windows 7, you will have to follow the below steps :
    • You should be able to provide administrative credentials.
    • You need a USB flash drive with the recovery key.
    • You need the password recovery.
    • Your computer must meet the requirements of BitLocker.

To test the data recovery on a drive data sets protected by a password :
    1. First you will have to Click Start, click Computer to analyze the drives on the computer.
    2. Then double-click a drive data protected by BitLocker. The dialog BitLocker Drive Encryption is showed and prompts you to enter your password to unlock the drive.
    3. Click I forgot my password. You are prompted to unlock the drive with your recovery key. Then select the Enter key recovery or get the key from a USB flash drive, as the recovery method that has been configured for the reader.
    4. When the recovery key has been offered, the drive is unlocked. You can click Manage BitLocker and reconfigure if necessary method of unlocking.

To test the data recovery on a drive operating system, the following steps would be useful :
    1. Click Start, type cmd in the Search for programs and files, right-click on cmd.exe and click Run as administrator. If the dialog box User Account Control appears, authenticate that the action exposed is the requested action, and then click Yes.
    2. Type bcdedit / debug on to enable debug kernel for the operating system drive.
    3. After that close all windows.
    4. If USB flash drive that contains your recovery key is inserted into the computer, use the Remove Hardware icon in the safe zone for the notification from the system.
    5. Click Start, then click Stop to stop your computer.
    6. Turn on your computer.
    7. The Recovery Console BitLocker Drive Encryption emerges.
    8. You will be requested to insert the USB flash drive that encloses the recovery key.
    9. Once the drive is unlocked, the operating system starts. To restore your computer to its standard operational profile, click Run, type cmd in the Search for programs and files, right-click on cmd.exe and click Run as administrator. If the dialog box User Account Control appears, verify that the action revealed is the requested action, and then click Yes. Type bcdedit / debug off to disable debugging kernel to drive the operating system.

hi everyone ,, well i have tried to use the bitlocker to lock my external hard drive , but as you know the data needs to be encrypted ,, but in the middle of the encryption , my computer just shut down ,, due to some electricity problem in my home :\\\\
    so when i logged in again to my computer my external hard drive was still connected and i had no problem to use it
    but when i disconnected it and tried to use it again , it asked for the password wich i have but didn't work,
    then i tried the BitLocker Recovery Key,, wich i also have ,, and the same ,, didn't work , it keeps tellin me it's a wrong password \ key
    what can i do now please .....

Hi rr.alkoja,

There is another tool called Bitlocker To Go which is a program that works on computers running Windows Vista or Windows XP, allowing you to open and view the content of removable drives that have been protected (or encrypted) with BitLocker Drive Encryption in Windows 7. Hope that will unlock your hard drive with ease.

I'm so tired and fed up with all of you who are trying to give answers that we all know. When will you understand that we cant use a password on disk drive because we cant remember it? We also cannot use the recovery key because we have lost it! If you know how to unlock a Bitlocker drive without password or key, then you are welcome to reply...