Thread: Problems with Discovery Search Mailbox

Problems with Discovery Search Mailbox

I have just implemented the Exchange 2010. All of thing going fine without any issues except for the Discovery Search Mailbox. My account is one of member of (different accounts who are a member of the Discovery Management group contains such type of issue as well):

Discovery Management
    Discovery Management
    Enterprise Admins

I login to my webmail. choose options => my organization => reports and then I received the following message: "An internal error has occurred when trying to access the Discovery system mailbox, which contains internal information about pending and completed searches. Ensure that this mailbox is online".

Re: Problems with Discovery Search Mailbox

It seems as the mailbox database hosting the discovery arbitration mailbox is having some problem there . The method to resolve this is to execute the following cmdlets:

Disable-mailbox -arbitration -Identity "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}"
    Enable-mailbox -arbitration -Identity "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}"

After that, the arbitration mailbox will contain a database to host the same.

I am running with the same problem as the main poster of this thread. when I issue the first command...

Disable-mailbox -arbitration -Identity "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}"

I received the following message which seems very annoying for me :

Exchange can't disable the arbitration mailbox "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}" because it's the last one in the organization.
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (all-tex.net/Use...8-e6c29d823ed9}:ADObjectId) [Disable-Mailbox], Inva
    lidOperationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 785D9DD3,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.DisableMailbox

And...

enable-mailbox -arbitration -Identity "SystemMailbox{e0dc1c29-89c3-4034-b678-e6c29d823ed9}"

I got the similar issue as you all are getting. I can get the System Mailbox within the AD but I am unable to get this on the EMC. I moved ahead and made different discovery mailbox but when I moved to work with this , I got the error message as follows:

Unable to execute the task. Reason: The discovery mailbox, a hidden default mailbox that is required to search mailboxes, can't be found. It may have been inadvertently deleted. This mailbox must be re-created before you can search mailboxes.
    Should I remove the another one discovery mailbox and go for adding the actual discovery of mailbox which was generated when I installed the Exchange first time ?

1. When I try to work with the Discovery Search Mailbox from the Exchange Control Panel then I received the below described error message :
    “Unable to execute the task. Reason: The discovery mailbox, a hidden default mailbox that is required to search mailboxes, can't be found. It may have been inadvertently deleted. This mailbox must be re-created before you can search mailboxes”

2. When I try to run the Search-Mailbox cmdlet with the help of Exchange Management Shell, I got the error message stated in the bottom:

“The term 'Search-Mailbox' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program...”

Please suggest me some effective solutions for both of the error message ..

I had this problem in the same way as well. I was able to find the resolution by performing the following. I had performed the uninstallation of entire components that can fix this problem before doing all this, as I don't know about the process according to which it will work with the roles still installed.

Verify that the Role for Active Directory Domain Services is installed properly. Drop down to a command line and execute the below from the installation files directory:

1. Setup.com /PrepareAD
    2. Setup.com /PrepareSchema
    3. Setup.com /PrepareDomain
    4. After completion of above tasks . Make double click on the setup.com for the GUI enabled installation procedure then after your installation would be finished successfully.

According to the second issue that you have posted in your thread , it seems as either you are not working with the Exchange Powershell, or you are running with the proper privileges to execute the command that you required . ( Which typically needs that the account running the command have Discovery Management role assignment to the same).