Thread: Silverlight vs. Flash

Silverlight vs. Flash

Is there any major differences between the Silverlight and Flash.? I thought to simply play the video display platform does not matter. But if they can, such as Adobe, Interactive Video to (eg when I Extra fade when the user running video click on an object or if I want to create two different videos with blue screen technology transparent above the other) then there is just not out about, far. Furthermore, the Horde is a professional Desginer (for whom the price is not an issue) probably can barely move from the Adobe tools to migrate Microsoft - as in the past, the example of Dream Weaver vs. FrontPage has pointed out. So I would say Microsoft is not bad. On the contrary - it is good for Adobe to get real competition here, and if Adobe priced this pressure finally rises from the high horse we all have something like this. I decided to take some lessons from your members. So please provide an information accordingly.

Re: Silverlight vs. Flash

Although Flash has the advantage of "time" on the Internet, and so this super extended, other factors to take into account. We must take into account issues of development and application design. Indeed flash is more oriented on say and SL. To begin with ActionScript is just a script. This means that there is a language profecional, or at least not as much with C # or any or TRO language .NET technology. For those who have tasted also ActionScript and C # is like comparing a bicycle with a Ferrari. As for the design Swit Adobe has a good, and good tools that he inherited from Macromedia. Microsoft also provides tools. In the future I think silverligth medium covering the field of applications (WPF developers to easily migrate to SL). And will flash to the field of multimedia and how widespread advertising is online.

In a more distant future, you may stop being so ActionScript script, or use another language for Adobe Flash, Flash can then also competed in the field of web applications. It may also be that in the future SL extend more on the Internet and covers the market for animation, advertising and media. Everything depends on the application performance with SL. Finally we must take into account the tremendous technology that comes with SL 3.0, or 3d, etc. DirecX.

Silverlight -

Advantages :
    • More powerful language, and based on WPF. Net 3.0 fx
    • More complete development tools: Visual Studio and Expression Suite
    • Hardware acceleration using DirectX.

Disadvantages :
    • Not supported on all browsers. Support for Internet Explorer, Safari and Firefox.

Flash -

Advantages :
    • Cross-platform (supported by virtually all browsers available)
    • Presence in the market for many years.

Disadvantages :
    • ActionScript is a language somewhat disorganized and complex to manage.
    • Poor performance.

Given this type of comparison, both Adobe Flash and Microsoft Silverlight are putting all its efforts on improving their products, trying to make them as competitive as possible with the applications 'rich' on the Internet. (RIA).

Adobe has released version 9 of Flash, using ActionScript 3.0 and uses a JIT (just-in-time), which generates specific machine code, so that one of his weaknesses as performance is improved. For its part, as a technology Microsoft uses DirectX hardware acceleration to achieve optimal performance and spectacular in Silverlight. We also have recently with the latest versions of the Expression family for designers: Blend, Design and Media Encoder. These versions have better integration with the IDE for developers: Visual Studio. Especially since the release of Visual Studio 2008.

And then .. I wonder .. Why choose one over another? Silverlight slightly more than I like Flash, but simply because it comes from a development branch with which I have more experience. But it is a personal opinion and I think that both SL and FL can do almost the same tasks. And we could use both. By the way, AS3 is not at all considered an execution language underachievement and while Silverlight is currently a little faster in some benchmarks, remember that these are exercises reflect a bit artificial and actual exercise programming.

Additionally, Silverlight allows you to have some access to the GPU but not specifically using DirectX. It uses a subset of this but so abstract, which ultimately makes it work on Mac or Linux (Moonlight). Do not confuse it with WPF it does have a direct integration but makes it only works under Vista. Perhaps nice that offers Silverlight is the possibility of developing a new environment while maintaining the language and handle (VB, C #, IronRuby, IronPython, etc.,), Which may be somewhat beneficial for development studies to reduce learning curve to get to the new development model.