Thread: Transferring Normal.dot to new version of Word

Transferring Normal.dot to new version of Word

I was transferring the normal.dot template from my previous to the successive version of the Microsoft word. Every time I have to upgrade it, since it contains number of valuable macros and the plenty of autotext. I want to know it thing is possible for doing it in word 2007 and most probably it will be for Microsoft Word 2010. Any related reply for transferring Normal.dot to new version of Word will be appreciated.

Re: Transferring Normal.dot to new version of Word

You can easily transfer normal.dot template for the higher version of the word. But this will only transfer this to auto text entries and you need to export your macros specifically. For transferring the autotext entries you need to follow these steps.
    1. First you need to Normal.dot file to the external drive.
    2. After that paste the Normal.dot file below the document building blocks for it:
    i Start ->Run-> and type %APPDATA %-> click ok.
    ii Click on Microsoft ->Document Building blocks->1033 and copy Normal.dot there.

I try to customize my toolbar in Word and my computer does not seem to update the Normal.dot file (it is dated November) despite the fact that I make sure it saves it in selecting the format / font and asking him to enter a new default font after my custom toolbar. What can I do for my computer to restart again I customize existing toolbars or re-create my custom toolbar from the beginning?

The problem is that "normal.dot" is automatically opened with all Word documents - even when it is "virtual" disk absent, and as Win2000/XP is a secure system, it prevents a user to save a file opened in shared mode. The solution is as follows: if the file "normal dot" does not exist:
    1) Open Word;
    2) Immediately after, save the document automatically as a "template" under any name (not as "normal.dot", the system will prohibit), and in the following folder:
    C: \ Documents and Settings \ [username] \ Application Data \ Microsoft \ Templates;
    3) Close Word;
    4) Open Windows Explorer, go to the relevant folder and rename the template "normal.dot".

I totally agree with the above reply but if "normal.dot" exists: then you need to follow these steps
    1) Open Word;
    2) Close the document automatically;
    3) Go to "File / Open", select the type "template" and open "normal.dot";
    4) Make any changes you want (customized toolbars, formatting, layout, ...);
    5) Save the file.
    Normally, when you next open the changes are retained. Of course (alas ...), and any subsequent modification of "normal.dot" will require to be made directly in this file, and not by the menu "organizing model" that worked so well before.

You must go to Tools > Options > File Locations. You look at what is displayed in front of 'User Templates': This is the address where your templates are stored. Ton 'normal.dot' and other models that you created must be at this place if you want to see them when you do File > New > 'my computer' or 'Create from a template ', depending on the version of Word. Open Normal.dot although ensure that this is the Dowry. For this, we must go through File > open you'll make the mods you want: they are the templates which stores your environment. When there is any way you want it, you registered at the address in 'default folder'. To verify you can paste such a large red square or write something in QWhat before saving your normal.dot. I hope it will help you solve your problem.

I renamed normal.dot, open Word from the command line and then save the document as a model with the name doc1.dot. Then I renamed normal.dot and it works. I had to change the rights of the application data directory by removing the hidden word if it is not displayed. If you are facing the same problem then I will suggest you to do the same.