Thread: Can I hide or delete the Q drive?

Can I hide or delete the Q drive?

Recently I have installed Microsoft office 2010 on my computer system. This application software is working fine, there is no problem related to the processing of this Microsoft office 2010. The actual thing is that I have notice the presence of Q: drive on my system. I am not having any idea related to this Q: drive. I am also trying to access it but it is giving error message of access denied. The thing I want to know is that can I hide or delete the Q drive on my system.

Re: Can I hide or delete the Q drive?

You are seeing this Q: drive on your system because you have installed the click to Run version of Microsoft office 2010. This application software is based on the virtualization technology and hence it is creating the virtual file system drive so that this Microsoft office 2010 can run smoothly. This Q: drive is not the real drive and it is not consuming any space I mean that it is not having any space and you cannot access driver from window explorer.

As far as I know you can hide of delete this Q: drive from your computer system if you have installed Microsoft office 2010 click to run on your system. Because if you try to delete this drive from your computer system then you will face problem while utilizing Microsoft office 2010. But if you want you can access this driver as the virtual drive but not the real drive, and for accessing this you have to click to run application then go to open and then go to navigate to Q: but the thing is that you are not allowed to open anything.

I have bought a laptop and Microsoft office was already installed on the system. The product verification code that was given is not working on the system hence I have returned this thing back to store and then they have uninstall Microsoft office 2010 from this laptop and downloaded an installed a fresh copy of office 2010. After doing all these alteration a Q: drive is shown on my computer system. Now I am searching for the method for deleting this Q drive.

If you want to remove or hide Q: drive then you need do the following things. You need to right click on My Computer and then you have to select “manage”, after that you have double click on the Storage that is given in right pane, after that you have to double click on the Disk management. At that place you can find you Q: drive you can change the letter Q: to something else by right clicking on it and choosing rename. In my case I have chosen “do not assign drive letter. ”

I will definitely not suggest you to do the thing that are mentioned in the above reply. I am suggesting this because I am having Lenovo laptop and followed the same procedure that is mentioned but after changing the name of Q: driver have realized that was the system driver and changing the name of this drive is giving me number for errors. If you are using Lenovo laptop then I will not suggest you to change the name of the driver.

Well if just need to hide this drive then you can do this by just pressing the “windows key” in combination with “r” and after that you have to type gpedit.msc. Then you need to go to user configuration and after that administrative templates and after that Windows components and after that windows explorer. Then on the right side pan you can seen an option for hiding specific driver on your computer system. You just need to double click on it and then you have to select Q: drive. Currently I am using windows 7 and if you are having any other operating system then the setting are different.