Thread: What is the Q drive?

What is the Q drive?

I have recently install Microsoft office 2010 on my system, I am not having any problem with the functioning of this Microsoft Office 2010 but the thing is that after I have install this Microsoft office 2010 I am seeing this Q drive on my computer system. When I am trying to access this Q drive that is on my computer I am getting the message of “access is denied”. I just want to know what is the Q drive and why I am not able to access it.

Re: What is the Q drive?

If you can see Q drive on your computer system then it is clear that you are using Microsoft office 2010 click to run suite. It is something like office home and student, office starter 2010 or office for home and business. Basically this software is based on the application of virtualization technology. In simple words the Q: drive that you are getting is a virtual file system driver and this virtualized application stays in the namespace of file system. You are getting access denied error because this Q: drive is not a real drive but it is virtual drive. This drive is not having any space hence it cannot be accessible.

I not having the idea what is the purpose of Q drive related to Microsoft office 2010 but normally some systems are designed in such a way that they use this Q drive for providing the automatic backup for local driver. Hence they treat this drive as the separate driver and therefore name this thing as Q drives. But in any manner you will not be allowed to access this drive.

Well as per the Microsoft’s advice for OEM’s (original equipment manufacturer) about the office starter. The Office Starter must be configured on the virtual Q drive. If the customer is having any other Q: drive on their system then they have removed it for Microsoft’s office 2010. Because if they are not doing so then the office started will have a problem. Most probably, this is perfect for the other situations through CTR.

I was having the Q drive from the time we are having the network. It started out being the place where we are having the queue up printing and the other work of imaging is waiting for output. Hence I cannot remove the Q: drive for installing Microsoft office 2010. Hence I need the solution for this problem, because I cannot install this software at the cost of hampering my network.

If you do not want to hamper your network for installing this Microsoft office 2010 then you need to install another version of Microsoft Office 2010. I mean that you are installing clickable version of Microsoft office 2010. You just need to sign in with your LiveID from the place you have bought this application software. After sign in you have to click on the download button and you will get the copy of office 2010 that does not require 2010.

I will suggest you to install the really version Microsoft office 2010 and not the virtual one. If you want to install the virtual version of the software then you need have virtual machine. For installing the virtual version of this Microsoft office software you will need empty the Q: drive I mean you have to stop the processes that are using Q: drive on your system. This is the only way of installing virtual version of Microsoft office 2010.

ptrhenry52 Guest

That is a virtual drive, probably caused by Office 2010.Qdrive is the cryogenic cooler development and manufacturing arm since 2001,of the Clever Fellows Innovation Consortium (CFIC), Inc.Qdrive's mission is providing quiet, low-vibration, no-maintenance, cryogenic cooling.The users like it much better, anyway, since they find the interface easier to use.