Thread: Saving to NAS box will corrupt Indesign file 1/3 times

Saving to NAS box will corrupt Indesign file 1/3 times

I have had this difficulty for a long time in view of the fact that I was first using CS3. Additional than I have at present got CS5 and was crossing my fingers the technique used to save indesign files had gotten smarter well it has not. I have got a Taurus Lan NAS box by means of 2x500Gb drives in Mirrored Raid which I do the entire of my primary run on. This has been attractive robust and has by no means given me a corrupt file for several additional software including the entire of Adobe's additional products in the imaginative suite. On the other hand, InDesign loves to corrupt files on this box. I have in addition got a D-Link router/print-server connecting this system and the NAS, I do not be familiar with if this has anything to do by means of it.

Re: Saving to NAS box will corrupt Indesign file 1/3 times

Similar too numerous or several on this discussion, saving to a network location seems to be an attractive unsteady experience depending on the setup. When saving Indesign determine to crash and determine to not be capable to recover the file being worked on, nor determine to it be capable to open the saved file. It crash each time, hours of work gone. I utilize an open source package called Blender, Adobe developers give pleasure to download it and look at the source, as it has the "most excellent auto save I have ever seen", and yet it’s worth shouting regarding, even although it is a attractive simple concept for robust file backups. The dissimilarity by means of their saving system is that. You have to rename the previous file to .blend1, .blend2, etc. and then save the file without saving it in excess of no matter which so that you be able to have replica back-up copies of any file you are running on. No possibility of corruption in view of the fact that the existing saved file is not touched.

This means if something does go incorrect throughout save, you have merely lost the work in view of the fact that your most recent save which is attractive acceptable, whereas losing work done in view of the fact that creating the file is not satisfactory. The additional declaration I recommend is finding out why network systems are so unstable, and fixing the real tribulations. For the reason that my system is garneted to not working a file right open and corrupt its guts to bits, I would be happy for one of you Adobe people to come and monitor what is occurring behind the scenes when it the entire goes wrong by means of some fancy diagonstics software. Maybe it would solve the tribulations for many in the future.

Determine to I ever learn. For the reason that I have anticipate one day that I be able to work or run on my network drive without fear of retaliation. Does anybody else encompass these tribulations in a predictable manner. Does anybody else have a explanation that solves these tribulations. I suspect that the information in sequence is the entire tranquil contained surrounded by the files as the file size is always pleasant and healthy, on the other hand indesign immediately does not open them, and I cannot afford to utilize Markzware backup services on so many files.

You comprehend that you are talking to additional users here, right. Several Adobe employees that might occur to observe this are merely passing through on their individual time. FWIW we (CS3 Windows XP SP2) save the entire our files (1000's and 1000's of them) on a D Link DNS 323 by means of 2 500GB un-mirrored drives. They have multiple workstations accessing them and extremely infrequently have a difficulty by means of a file being corrupted. If we ever do it's for the reasons that of an additional reason similar to Indesign crashing.

I visualize my issues are moreover to do by means of the mirrored drives that I am using and whether that one way or another changes things, or a number of additional factor by means of the NAS box. Whether it is dropped communication, poor latency, or something else I am not certain I do not like to point the finger of blame unswervingly at Adobe in view of the fact that I cannot guarantee that my unambiguous NAS drive is not a contributing factor, on the other hand it merely seems to be InDesign. My simply consideration to solving the difficulty is to work locally on my apparatus and somehow sync the files connecting my system and the NAS.

More than thousands of people utilize InDesign frequently in network environments without this kind of tribulations, so it sounds similar to the difficulty is somehow unambiguous to your setup. And it's the category of thing that is tremendously difficult to debug if you had a network administrator you might leverage, that person might be capable to utilize a series of advanced tools and know-how to try to get close to the tribulations, additional than even someone by means of that know-how and expertise would be limited without hold up or maintain from Adobe. I suspect you are unlikely to get that kind of support for the reason that your troubles are not widespread.