Thread: Connect Adobe Air to MySQL

Connect Adobe Air to MySQL

I would like to connect my AIR application with the MySQL database. I am looking for a solution whom setup is simple. In current scenario, Database is hosting in local network (with the same machine as Air application or in different machine within the local network). I would like to create a soft with flex 4, do you think that as SQL is the better solution to resolve my issue or do you have an some other suggestion to do that.

Re: Connect Adobe Air to MySQL

Adobe AIR contains the capability of making and using local SQL databases. The runtime contains a SQL database engine which is facilitated with the support for several standard SQL properties, working with the open source SQLite database system. A local SQL database can be used for saving local, persistent data. For instance, this can be used for application data, application user configuration files or any different type of data which you need to implement into your application to save locally.

I am just considering for making a website in that I (and eventually different) can post articles, such as a news website. I was thinking of creating an AIR application to move with the Website, Do you have any idea about this, or aware about the way to grab information from a database like MySQL ? If so, how can it would be done ? If not then how can I move about accessing data from my website ?

There are so many options for you and you have to choose one of them to go for . Number of database services are available and you have to work with the dataservice such as AJAX, PHP, ASP or Javasript to transfer the data. you can also download the Adobe examples from the Flex.org..According to me, the AJAX would be the best option for you and you should go ahead with this, one friend is also in this section and he is also using the same ..
    Last edited by deoWo; 01-07-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Hey ! You all have be aware about it, AJAX is not being used as a server-side programming language. This is the front-end technology just like as the flash used . It loads the data just as flash but by the way, yeah dude you require to work with the server-side programming language just as PHP to do the job.There is one of site named as gotoandlearn contains a better example of PHP, MySQL and flash combination although and its for actionscript 2. It's still available a better resource to use though.

You can only able to connect with the locally saved database because Adobe just as to limit the access to things for security causes and also this may have been so much work to associate the libraries that would allow you retrieve a remote database stored on a database server. You can only able to connect to a SQLite database and not postgre or MySQL or whichever because that is the engine that Adobe decided to package with Adobe AIR, and the causes for that option was because its a self-loaded, serverless, zero-configuration, transactional SQL database engine.