Thread: Office 2003 when open file slow with network

Office 2003 when open file slow with network

I have a problem with one machine network.

When he try to op een file he have to wait for about sometime serval minutes. after that he shows all the machine names on the network. how can i change it that he just give only his shares and his local drives.

it does it only in excel 2003 in word and powerpoint it doesn't have that problem.

Re: Office 2003 when open file slow with network

You can try to delete your cache settings or go into my computer-c:drive-winnt-temp folder delete everything in their. Also what program are you opening up from? Is this windows explorer or an office application? It can also be a virus issue on the network so scan all pc's in network with a good antivirus software.

Try to copy the file first on your system anywhere and then try to open the file. If the file is too big then also it consume some time. Ensure one this when office files responds very slowly while opening then you must keep a backup of the same. Try to re-install Microsoft Excel only with the office 2007 disc. You can click on cutomize for the specific installation.

Problem is not in the file but when he has opend excel en click open file that's going ok. but when he clicks look in: then excel freezes for about 2 min or more. after that he shows every pc on the network. he only want to see his shares and local drives.

delete the cache and temp folder is empty. he is using win 7 pro with office 2003. i have the same configuration and don't have the problem. When he opens excel and the go to open. After he press look in then it hangs for serval minutes. after that he shows alles the pc names on the network where he can choose from. i have try to change the file location to his local drive but the problem stay's. there is a work around without using lookin and just press my computer or something like that. but i has to work the other way also.

My first question would be how much ram is installed in the pc? Do you have any com add ins installed with your office applications? Try opening a document in safe mode and see if it opens quickly for you. If so, the issue probably lies with a com add-in.

hi
    did you get this resolved?
    just a few thoughts.. assuming your user is experiencing similar issues in other office apps it is adviseable to check for mappings to network resources.. drive mappings.. printers etc ( nethood, printhood too). i.e. for mappings that are dated..

Click on start and then click on run. Then in that type regedit and search for this keys - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Open Find. This is for office 2003 and for office 2007 search for - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Open Find. Once find the location look for the Dword value and then type EnableShellDataCaching and right click on for modify, add value 1.