Thread: Orange Exclamation Mark in uTorrent means what?

Orange Exclamation Mark in uTorrent means what?

Honestly speaking i am not very much familiar with the computer stuff. As it was not comfortable to watch movies on my desktop i have managed to download everything in my external drive but there is something going wrong after completing download. Actually there was a green pointing up arrow which has been changed to orange exclamation mark with remark under Status 'Error" Can't open.torrent...." Can anybody tell me why this has happened and what does that orange exclamation means?
    Last edited by Agaev; 23-06-2010 at 11:10 PM.

Re: Orange Exclamation Mark in uTorrent means what?

There could be something related to the firewall of your operating system which might be blocking the connection which is needed to make your uTorrent download without any problems. I suggest you to check the same on your operating system and make sure that it does not have any kind of restrictions while downloading the files from the torrent.

I have gone through the similar problem when i was using an uTorrent on my windows vista operating system. Actually these exclamation mark does mean that the downloaded file has been corrupted or it will not be working but it was like something nonsupportive from the destination source. It might happen that you have set some password for your external drive because of which that exclamation mark is shown over there which means that you cannot open that downloaded file directly from the uTorrent. Right click on it and click on an Open Containing Folder.

I have collected some information about the green, yellow and red light that appears on your uTorrent while using it. Actually green light means that everything is okay and there is nothing going wrong while download and connections or you may say that ports are forwarded and you are receiving incoming connections.
    Yellow network light means that there is no incoming connections which is mandatory to download the files and if it does not turn to green then you can consider that your port is not forwarded.
    The red light means that µTorrent was unable to bind a listening socket.

I think you have wrongly configured your uTorrent because of which these kind of problem persists.
    1. Open the Setup Guide from the preferences. Options -> Setup Guide, or press Ctrl G.
    2. Click "Run tests" and wait! Once the tests are completed, the settings will be filled in for you. You can then hit Save & Close.
    3. If the test failed, or you think the results are wrong, you can manually choose a preset from the list. Choose the one closest to your connection's upload speed.
    4. Higher settings will not give you better speed, and may in fact make download speeds worse. Too low of an upload speed will give the same result. Make sure you pick the right setting!

Some of an Internet Service Providers do interfere with the P2P activities so that they can reduce their bandwidth requirements which slow downs the file sharing download speeds of torrent clients. And most of the torrent clients including the uTorrent have provided an encryption protocol to prevent ISPs from identifying BitTorrent traffic. Go to Options > Preferences > BitTorrent. Set Outgoing under Protocol Encryption to Enable, check "Allow incoming legacy connections".

I think you need to authorize an uTorrent in your firewall for which you have to go to an Options and then go to the Preferences and then Connection. Here you have to make a check for "Add µTorrent to Windows Firewall." Actually this is enabled by default but still you must check for the same again on your system.