Thread: Logitech drivers 2.13 start update_prebindin process on Mac OS X

Logitech drivers 2.13 start update_prebindin process on Mac OS X

Since installing version 2.1.3 of the Logitech mouse utility software for my MX Revolution mice and I got a process running in the background every time when a user logs on running under Intel, then PowerPC (Rosetta) mode. It is consuming much more time of startup . The update_prebindin process is started through the launchd, and the process doing so is Application Enhancer. I didn't used AE before , but Logitech's mouse driver install AE automatically apparently to use for it's proper activity . I don't know , if they are working with a latest version of AE or what, but I can replicate this issue on all my Intel- compatible Mac systems and the issue is starting to appear on the net as well.

I need some comments. If you are wondering why initial startup after logon consumes much longer time as before - If you open your activity monitor and you will figure out the status there then you will find that update_prebindin for BOTH Intel and PowerPC (Rosetta) going for a while, until they got terminated .

Re: Logitech drivers 2.13 start update_prebindin process on Mac OS X

Dear morea,
    I was also suffering with the same issue before but it was happening on my MacBook. The update_prebindin is running from
    /Library/Frameworks/ApplicationEnhancer.framework. The Logitech Control Center installs this framework and is based on it. I finished up the installation procedure of LCC and working with the Steermouse to drive my MX mouse. It is $20 shareware but performs in well manner. I am no longer have the decrease the startup speed caused by update_prebindin after removing the /Library/Frameworks/ApplicationEnhancer.framework directory.Chill

I hope this would be helpful for you !

When I reboot the system, an small process displayed up in my Activity Monitor with the name of "update_prebindin". It scans within the "Intel" initially then moves to "PowerPC" only to consume more CPU power and RAM. It consumes up about half of the Inactive RAM, then the process get disappeared automatically , decreasing some of the Inactive RAM that was already taken. While this is happening, I can get disk functionality (reading and writing, I suppose).

For which purpose, this process is attached in the list and why does it require to execute making every single reboot where as I didn't used any Unsanity programs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Prebinding is one of the process of fixing symbolic reference in a program's code so as to save processing time when it gets execute . This should only require to be performed once unless programs or resources getting configured. Inactive RAM is memory which was used before but currently not . In effect it is a cache of things which can be used again frequently if you think, it is important (or rejected if something else requires the memory). This will only be high after a making a reboot. Since it is not actually in use, the amount of Inactive Memory you have is not a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Morea View Post
    Since installing version 2.1.3 of the Logitech mouse utility software for my MX Revolution mice and I got a process running in the background every time when a user logs on running under Intel, then PowerPC (Rosetta) mode. It is consuming much more time of startup . The update_prebindin process is started through the launchd, and the process doing so is Application Enhancer. I didn't used AE before , but Logitech's mouse driver install AE automatically apparently to use for it's proper activity . I don't know , if they are working with a latest version of AE or what, but I can replicate this issue on all my Intel- compatible Mac systems and the issue is starting to appear on the net as well.

I need some comments. If you are wondering why initial startup after logon consumes much longer time as before - If you open your activity monitor and you will figure out the status there then you will find that update_prebindin for BOTH Intel and PowerPC (Rosetta) going for a while, until they got terminated .
    This is a complex section of the optimization. Prebinding, actually happened with rosetta which suggest that you can resolve things in place with the help of machine langage, dependent on the current system. If it is only used once, it misses but it doesn't consume much to become significantly quicker once they are pre-bound. This is a resource option, you are providing RAM for the proper speed which is generally a better thing as RAM is both cheap, and doesn't make sense if not used.

It is looking so wired . So,it seems to be the active process every time when my system boots up or sometimes during login and consuming near about 500 MB of my disk space. It is continuously happening near about two minutes then after it stops and restores (most) of the consumed disk size .Do you have any suggestion regarding this, WHAT this is and/or what can be done about this ? Thanks you very much in advance for any effective suggestion .

I think, it is pointing some issues related to the local system processing and you have to clean the bugs and all. The issue that you are getting is just assumes as you are running with some another kind of maint. Or running with some bad program in your startup components directories .

You should clean all these things to check this out and for doing these all, you have to move for System Preferences/Accounts/Login Items and then after make disable that application. You can still execute this application properly in the manual way at other times when you desire.

I am having the same issue and I just found out what it was. This is the Application Enhancer section which comes with ShapeShifter that caused it for me. If you have already installed already then you should Go to System Preferences > Application Enhancer and click "Troubleshooting...". Form that location , you can select to disable this temporarily for another session login. If you do that you will be able to see that the system boots in normal mode without the "update_prebindin" task that eats entire RAM.

I am afraid the only fix regarding this issue will be to get rid of Application Enhancer and hence of ShapeShifter I am unable to figure out how Application Enhancer signals the system to executes the tasks at system booting .