Thread: Adjust default Finder column width

Adjust default Finder column width

Since I switched on Mac OS X, there's one thing that annoys me. Let me explain :
    It sometimes I open any folder that does not show all files. Then I do it bigger and longer seen. The problem is that when you close the window when I open its size is again the initial edit I had before, so that files do not fit again and I have to resize the window once again. If instead of resizing the window command the files, they fit but are placed in two columns. I'd like to see more columns from files to prevent the window is both "scroll" and because it is easier for me to see more files at once. So please tell me how to adjust default Finder column width..??

Re: Adjust default Finder column width

Open the window of a directory, your home for example, in the present list in the menu appropriately. Show "View Options" [command] + J select the option "All windows" set column widths (Possibly take the opportunity to fix your choice on the presentation icons). Close the window which can be displayed after successively. All directories currently presented by the "All windows" checked adopt this presentation, and any new directory created. If directories keep other options in list view or icon that they are in state "this window only".
    Dimension 1100 (FMY032J) mini-tower
    2.53ghz Intel Pentium 4
    80 gig nfts HDD
    512 RAM
    Main circuit board: Dell 0CF458
    BIOS: Dell A00
    Display: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adaptor]
    Multimedia: Sound MAX Integrated Digital Audio
    Windows XP Home SP2

You will have to change one aspect list when the window "Show View Options" is closed and it automatically move it to the state "This window only". Just give it to the state "All windows", this does not change the setting column widths that just completed, close the window "Show View Options," close the Finder window ... When you reopen the window it is still in the statement "All windows". I am sure that this will help you.
    QTechnology Ultra-Quiet ATX PSU 460W I MSI K8N Neo4-F I AMD Opteron 144 CABNE0545 2.66Ghz I 2 x 512MB RAM I 380GB Maxtor SATAI Raid0 Hard Drive I 40GB Maxtor IDE Hard Drive I Nvidia GeForce 7900GTX I Win XP Home Service Pack 2 I Soundblaster Xtreme Fidelity Fatal1ty I Mercury Home Theater HT-4500

According to me you should change the width of the third column is, in the case the foreground window, the last column that are posted previews. If you find yourself with a window with four then the third columns will be wider than the fourth, but the previews are in the 4th and will be smaller than what you'd want (this that is the case for a basic window). Now you open a window that has six columns that will be the third most widely so that there no reason why it is so in this case. Let's change the mode of reference and forget the number of column from the beginning to take its position from the end. You decide that the last column is wider because she has seen. Now you choose a folder in this column. Column to side but no longer has previews of files and folders. New column is found enlarged but the previous which was great becomes small.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signatureto help him gain world domination

You install the developer tools, and you open the file preferences in question with Property List Editor. You click on the small gray triangles to scroll through items, and you change line :
    Root-> DesktopViewOptions-> StandardViewOptions-> Nlsv-> Columns-> 0,
    ColumnWidth, but also 1, etc. ColumnWidth.
    The height of the window is well respected, but the width is 2-3 times greater.

In Finder, there is a button [| |] in the lower right of each column. If it is double-clicked, it adjusts the column width to the longest content. When handled (from, click, double-clicked) in conjunction with the Alt key, it allows to define a default column width usable until the Finder is stopped and restarted. I retain a display system according to these criteria is not possible, and I have to continue to double-click the bottom of the columns to fit.