Thread: Problem with IE7 after upgrade to Java 1.6

Problem with IE7 after upgrade to Java 1.6

I just downloaded Java 1.6 and now when I go to start IE7 it just sits there waiting for the Yahoo website and will not let me go to anything else. Eventually it will bring up the Yahoo web site but then drags to finish loading the web page completely.

I checked my wife's id and everything works fine under her ID. BTW I updated Java under my ID. At first IE would not get connected at all after the upgrade. No matter what I try to do via IE7 the system will drag. Before the update everything worked great. Could multiple versions of Java cause this? If so, how should I go about clearing up the problem?

Java is set to use IE7's internet connections.

I tried to reset the XP system to yesterday but XP said it could not?

Please, any help woul be appreciated!!!

davidmorgen19 Guest

Re: Problem with IE7 after upgrade to Java 1.6

In the IE7 go to tool>option and clear cookie ,session and history,
    and done all the Java relation settings enable.
    If you do all this and same problem occur then reinstall your IE.

sad Re: Problem with IE7 after upgrade to Java 1.6

Sorry but what are the Java Relation Settings?

ava programs are downloaded automatically on your computer when you use and usually do not require special setup. When you install a Java program in internet explorer, it is enabled by default and configured with security settings to high. To install Java programs, follow these steps:

• Open Internet Explorer, click the Start button , Then click Internet Explorer.
    • Go to website Java.com .
    • Click Free Java Download. By clicking this button, the screen steps for installing Java displayed. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, provide the password or confirmation.
    • If an information bar will appear yellow (warning you that the website requires an ActiveX control or an add of Sun Microsystems), click the yellow bar and then click Install ActiveX control or Install an add. When a dialog Security Warning appears, click Install.
    • In the Welcome dialog box, click the View license agreement to read the agreement and click Agree if you want to install Java. (Note that you can also change the default location for Java C: \ Program Files \ Java by activating the check box Change the destination folder and follow the instructions.)
    • In addition to Java, you can also install the MSN Toolbar. The MSN Toolbar provides headlines, news alerts and Microsoft search tools. For more information, see the start page of the MSN Toolbar . To install the toolbar, click the buttons Terms of Use or Privacy Policy, then read the conditions. If you do not want to install the toolbar, clear the check box Install the new MSN Toolbar.
    • When the dialog appears successful installation, click Finish. Java does not require any additional parameters or perform a reboot. If you have installed the MSN toolbar, you see when you open a new window or click on a tab.

For more info click here.

I reinstalled IE7 but no improvement I again checked the other ID and they continue to work fine. Help!!

Are you using Windows Vista operating system? If so then try to run Internet Explorer "as administrator". Usually, you can't run java applets in IE7 only, I can't run java in both IE and Firefox if the UAC is on. In IE7, go to Tools, Programs, Manage AddOns, scroll down to java items, enable java platform se binary activex control.

I am using XPHome

The only Java items in Manage Add Ons are enabled.

Here is a new problem - Now I am seeing an error triangle appear in the lower left corner of the browser window when I go to various sites. The errors are not the same.

I searched for occurances of "java" under my ID and there were many. The latest update that triggered my problems is in the system32 folder. However, java appears in more than a few other locations besides that of applications such as Adobe.

I then searched for Java under my wife's ID and there was only something like three occurances. - Adobe, system32 folder being two of them. Her ID recall works fine. Could multiple copies of Java cause my problems? If so, what would be the safe way of cleaning up the unwanted copies?

You can try to download JavaRa from here . It's a neat little free utility that removes all remnants of Java. I used it and it worked easy. Just unzip it and run it. Don't know if this will solve your problem, but often remnants of previous installs screw things up. Using JavaRa you'll be able to do an absolutely "clean" install/reinstall".

I ran Javara and it did the trick!!! After removing quite a few old versions and removing unneeded files I started my id and clicked on IE7. Everything seems to run fine now

I will let you know if anything else comes up.

Oh Yeah..THANKS ALL FOR YOUR HELP!

Well ...I thought everything was running well. IE7 was sluggish when scrolling through web pages and I was experiencing script errors. Finally I tried a different browser - I installed Firefox (I added NoScript after the installation) and Wow what an improvement in performance overall! All script errors ended and all web pages load fast and I experience no hesitation in scrolling through web pages. The net effect overall is like I upgraded the connection speed to AT&T!
    I probably should have tried Firefox from the start!