Thread: cel shading in blender?

cel shading in blender?

I am using Blender on my windows operating system and i want to know that is it possible to do a Cell Shading by using Blender. Actually i do not have much ideas about Blender but i guess it mus be possible, Just want to know that how to do it.

Re: cel shading in blender?

I guess the shading which you are talking about is not a Cell Shading as it is called as Toon Shading in Blender, It might happen that it would have called Cell Shading in some other software but it is the Toon one in Blender for sure. You may try searching about your query by asking for Toon Shading in Blender.

Here you have got the steps for doing the Toon Shading of your image which you have opened in your Blender.
    1. Lighting - Use three fill lights and one detail light. Place fill lights around the camera and detail light on the top.
    2. Add three standard lamps to the scene.
    3. Object rendering material - Toon shading looks better if objects are set to render smooth rather than solid.
    4. Adding Materials to objects.
    5. Edges - Edges are more important for getting better and proper looks.

I have given you the steps by following which you can easily do a cel shading.
    • Remove the shades of light through the Self enlightenment
    • Create shading cel-shaded (or off) using "falloff"
    • Combining it with a texture using "Mix"

You just need to do above three actions in order to cel shade your pictures in Blender.

These all replies does not seems to be helpful for any newbie doing a cel shading using blender. Here i have given you the proper step by step information about it.
    1. Change the type of shading "Blinn" in Oren-Nayar-Blinn.
    2. Remove the checkmark "Color" and increase the "self-enlightenment" 100.
    3. We will need to combine the shadow we will create a texture, it must use the mixer "Mix".
    4. Click on the channel "Diffuse Color" and select "Mix" in the list and the window that appears.
    5. Putting "Mix Amount" to 80 for the shade that we create to appear at 20% and 80% texture.
    6. We will now create our shading cel-shaded.
    7. Click on the first site and choose "Falloff" in the list and the window that appears.
    8. Change type of "falloff": "Perpendicular / Parallel" in Shadow / Light ".
    9. Return to Map # 1 (Mix) and put in the second location texture of your choice.

You first define "color zones"--actually shading zones. Each color zone has its own adjustable "paint brightness" setting. If a shade on the object falls into a particular zone, Super Cel Shader will multiply the RGB values of that shade by the value of the Paint Brightness setting. I think you should visit the celshader.com for having all the idea about how cel shading works. There is full tutorial on this topic from where you may get your ideas about cel shading.

Eric B have given you pretty right suggestion but i guess it could be bit difficult for you to understand it.
    If an object with base RGB values of 100,120,150 respectively the it is run through the Super Cel Shader, and the settings for Zone 3 and below are set to 0.5, all shades that fall under Zone 3 and below will be replaced with the single color R 50, G 60, B 75.