Thread: SQL server on old hardware

SQL server on old hardware

Hello,
    I am using an old laptop and I have installed windows 2003 server on it. I use the SQL server 2000 on this operating system. I know that this is the old version of the SQL server, but i wanted to know that if I upgrade the SQL server would the software run fluently or it will hand my operating system. I have no idea as I have not installed the new version yet. Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: SQL server on old hardware

Hello,
    If you are going to keep the same operating system installed, then I do not think that you will have any problem regarding the new version of the SQL database. But if you are going to install the windows xp or any other normal operating system then I do not think that this is going to work. Or else you can upgrade your hardware and use the new version of the SQL software. Also, if you are going to upgrade your operating system then you will have to think about the software compatibility.

Hello,
    I believe that make of the users of window use the SQL server as their main database. So, I do not think that even if you have the old laptop you are lacking of some resources. Also, if you upgrade the operating system to windows server 2008 or something like that, I do not think that there will be any problems for the software to run. So, you can surely install SQL server on your operating system.

Hello,
    I think now a days all the hardware's that are manufactured are targeted to 64 bit and not 32bit computers. I do not say that they do not work with 32bit computer, but their performance is good on 64bit computers. So, if you upgrade your computer to new hardware, then it would be good for you. Also, if you are going to buy the hardware then you need to buy the latest technology as the technology changes very soon. Virtualization is the new trend in the market and you can use it.

Hello,
    I think you can use the virtulization technology, but if you hare going to use this technology then you need a good hardware, that is the very powerful hardware, because the operating system which is in virtulization will make use of the hardware as their resources. So, can try this is a good option for you. Also, you can try to upgrade your SQl server, I do not think that this should give you problems.