Thread: How to use Office programs with plug-ins of Norton AntiVirus Office?

How to use Office programs with plug-ins of Norton AntiVirus Office?

Hi friends,
    I am confused with the Norton AntiVirus Office. Actually I want to know that how to use the Office programs with plug-ins of Norton AntiVirus Office? I have tried to do many things but my R & D didn't worked. So I am requesting you to explain me about doing that.!! Since, I don't know much about it, explain me in details.
    |===================|
    |YAY if that made sense...|
    |===================|

Re: How to use Office programs with plug-ins of Norton AntiVirus Office?

If you have Norton AntiVirus 2007 or Norton Internet Security 2007 installed in your system, then disable the Turn on scanning for Microsoft Office Documents. To do this, follow these steps :
    1. In the taskbar, click the right mouse button on the Norton icon, and then click Norton Protection Center.
    2. Depending on the version of Norton you are using, click Norton AntiVirus or Norton Internet Security.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Under Additional Options, click Virus and Spyware Protection Options.
    5. Click Miscellaneous.
    6. In How to Keep Microsoft Office documents protected, clear the check box Turn on scanning for Microsoft Office Documents.
    QTechnology Ultra-Quiet ATX PSU 460W I MSI K8N Neo4-F I AMD Opteron 144 CABNE0545 2.66Ghz I 2 x 512MB RAM I 380GB Maxtor SATAI Raid0 Hard Drive I 40GB Maxtor IDE Hard Drive I Nvidia GeForce 7900GTX I Win XP Home Service Pack 2 I Soundblaster Xtreme Fidelity Fatal1ty I Mercury Home Theater HT-4500

For using the Office programs with plug-ins of Norton AntiVirus Office, you might have to disable the Norton AntiVirus Office. You have to use this method only if you can not update the Norton AntiVirus software from the website Live Update. The steps for disabling the Norton AntiVirus Office is mentioned by the 'Soumen'. These steps may increase your security risk. These steps may also make your computer or your network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses.

If you have installed Norton AntiVirus 2006, then follow the steps to disable it :
    1. In the taskbar, click the right mouse button on the Norton icon, and then click Norton AntiVirus Options.
    2. Click Miscellaneous.
    3. Clear the check box Turn Office Plug-in on.

But by doing this workaround may make a computer or a network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses.
    Dimension 1100 (FMY032J) mini-tower
    2.53ghz Intel Pentium 4
    80 gig nfts HDD
    512 RAM
    Main circuit board: Dell 0CF458
    BIOS: Dell A00
    Display: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adaptor]
    Multimedia: Sound MAX Integrated Digital Audio
    Windows XP Home SP2

If there is Norton AntiVirus 2004 installed in your system, then do the following things :
    1. Start Norton Antivirus. To do this, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Norton AntiVirus, and then click Norton AntiVirus 2004.
    2. Click Options.
    3. Under Other, click Miscellaneous.
    4. Under How to keep Microsoft Office documents protected, click to deselect the Enable check box O FFIC Plug-in and then click OK.
    5. Restart the computer.

The Norton AntiVirus for Microsoft Office reviews the documents looking for virus infections in Office products. This plugin can cause performance problems, the inability to open files within Office, or the inability to install some Office programs. Before disabling the Norton AntiVirus, I would like to recommend you to get the latest version of Norton AntiVirus Office that is available through the site Live Update option in the Norton AntiVirus software.

Norton AntiVirus, and in particular the Office Plugins cause so many problems, that you're better off uninstalling it all and replacing it with a free solution like AVG, Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials.