Thread: How to use a VB ActiveX component for Word automation from Internet Explorer?

How to use a VB ActiveX component for Word automation from Internet Explorer?

Hi everyone,
    I am having good knowledge about the Visual Basic. I am trying to use the VB along with the ActiveX component, so that the automation for the MS Word can take place through an Internet Explorer. I have tried lot of methods, but was not getting an appropriate results. So thought that you guys can guide me properly.!! Please tell me how to use a VB ActiveX component for Word automation from Internet Explorer? Reply me as soon as possible.!!

Re: How to use a VB ActiveX component for Word automation from Internet Explorer?

There are several benefits to using an ActiveX component from a Web page instead of script that is embedded in the Web page itself :
    • If you already have Visual Basic code that robots Microsoft Word, you can reuse your code in the browser by converting your Visual Basic project to either an ActiveX EXE or an ActiveX DLL.
    • Word is not marked safe for scripting. Depending on security settings in Internet Explorer, Word Automation code in script may not run or the user may be prompted with a security warning. Assuming that your ActiveX component meets certain guidelines, it may be marked safe for scripting to avoid these security issues.

Re: How to use a VB ActiveX component for Word automation from Internet Explorer?

A common scenario for developers is to provide users with a Web page interface for creating a Word document using data from some external source or logic. Although you can use Word Automation server side to generate the document and feed the client, there are several drawbacks to using a server-side approach that involves automation Word. The main drawback is scalability; Word Automation server is a very greedy and is not recommended to generate documents on the Web server.

Visual Basic has several features that you can not use with script in a Web page. For example, a feature that is available to Visual Basic but not the Web page script is the ability to call interface of Windows application programming (API). Using an ActiveX component to perform document generation on the client, you can move the Word automation resources from the Web server. This is the solution presented to you by the ActiveX component such as described in this article. Although the example is specific to automate Word, the same principles can be applied to automate other Microsoft Office applications such as Microsoft Excel.

I would like to suggest you to download Autoword.exe. After you download Autoword.exe, follow these steps to configure the example :
    1. Create a folder named bill in the virtual root directory of your Web server. (The virtual root directory default is 2 for C: \ Inetpub \ wwwroot f articles.)
    2. Extract the files in Autoword.exe on your file.
    3. Open Autoword1.htm in a text or HTML editor and replace references to YourWebServer in all URLs with the name of your Web server.
    4. Open Autoword2.htm in a text or HTML editor and replace references to YourWebServer in all URLs with the name of your Web server.
    5. Start Internet Explorer. You can browse http://YourWebServer/invoice/AutoWord1.htm and http://YourWebServer/invoice/AutoWord2.htm to test the script.
    Dimension 1100 (FMY032J) mini-tower
    2.53ghz Intel Pentium 4
    80 gig nfts HDD
    512 RAM
    Main circuit board: Dell 0CF458
    BIOS: Dell A00
    Display: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adaptor]
    Multimedia: Sound MAX Integrated Digital Audio
    Windows XP Home SP2

ActiveX component in Visual Basic example that interacts with Web page script to generate a paper invoice control user request. The Web application may allow the ActiveX component to get ordering information for a given order number, or Web application can choose to package the order information in XML format and send it to the ActiveX component for processing. In both cases, once the component obtains the order information, it can automate Word to create and display the invoice document for the order.