Thread: How to Enable AutoArchive Feature in Outlook 2007?

How to Enable AutoArchive Feature in Outlook 2007?

Hello friends,
    I have recently went through the term AutoArchive. I am not having any knowledge about it. But when I read about it, I thought that it might be much useful for me to arrange the mails in an archive. Please explain me how to enable AutoArchive Feature in Outlook 2007.?? Since, I don't know much about the AutoArchive Feature, also provide some information about it.!!
    AMD Sempron 2800+ @ 2Ghz
    Asus A7V8X-LA
    120Gb Seagate barracuda 7200Rpm Ultra-ATA 100
    Elixir 512mb DDR Pc3200 (Soon 1Gb)
    Club 3D Radeon 9600 256Mb
    Lite-On Cd & Dvd writer combo
    IDE-Dvd drive
    400w Psu
    Windows Xp Pro Sp2
    Advent Wireless Mouse & Keyboard.

Re: How to Enable AutoArchive Feature in Outlook 2007?

The AutoArchive feature has two steps. First, you select the AutoArchive feature. Then you set the properties of the AutoArchive feature for each folder that you want to archive. At the folder level, you can determine which items will be archived and frequency of archiving. You can automatically archive individual folders or set a parameter default AutoArchive for all folders, then configure AutoArchive settings for individual folders that you do not want to use AutoArchive settings by default. The AutoArchive feature runs automatically whenever you start Outlook. Outlook checks the AutoArchive properties for each folder by date and moves old items to your archive. Elements placed in the Deleted Items folder are deleted.
    QTechnology Ultra-Quiet ATX PSU 460W I MSI K8N Neo4-F I AMD Opteron 144 CABNE0545 2.66Ghz I 2 x 512MB RAM I 380GB Maxtor SATAI Raid0 Hard Drive I 40GB Maxtor IDE Hard Drive I Nvidia GeForce 7900GTX I Win XP Home Service Pack 2 I Soundblaster Xtreme Fidelity Fatal1ty I Mercury Home Theater HT-4500

By default, several Outlook folders are set with the AutoArchive feature turned on. You will find below a list of folders whose AutoArchive feature is enabled and the parameter default age of each folder :
    • The Calendar folder (6 months)
    • The Tasks folder (6 months)
    • The Sent Items folder (2 months)
    • The Deleted Items folder (2 months)
    • The Journal folder (6 months)

When you archive items, you can archive them in a personal folders (.Pst). If you want to export items, you can export in many different file types, in which the following files are included :
    .Pst files and delimited text files.
    Your existing folder structure is maintained in your new archive file. If a parent folder above the folder you archived, the parent folder is created in the archive file, but contains elements that are not archived. Thus, there is the same folder structure in the archive file and your mailbox. Records are kept after being archived, even if they are empty. You can only archive one file type (.Pst).

The following are the steps for enabling the AutoArchive :
    1. In the Tools menu, click Options, then click the Other tab.
    2. Click AutoArchive.
    3. Select the checkbox AutoArchive all, and then specify how frequently the AutoArchive by typing a number in the days.
    4. If you want to be notified before the items are archived, select the check box Prompt before running AutoArchive.
    5. In the File Archives default, type the name of the file where the archived items will be moved or click Browse to select from a list.
    6. Click OK twice.

The following steps could be useful for setting Properties of the AutoArchive feature for a folder :
    1. In the Folder List, click the right mouse button on the file to be archived automatically, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the AutoArchive tab.
    3. To set the AutoArchive properties for this folder, click Delete items older than.
    4. To specify when items should be transferred automatically to the archive file, type a number in the Months box.
    5. To specify the file where the archived items to be transferred, click Move old items to.
    6. In the Move old items to box, type a file name for the archived items, or click Browse to select from a list, then click OK.
    Dimension 1100 (FMY032J) mini-tower
    2.53ghz Intel Pentium 4
    80 gig nfts HDD
    512 RAM
    Main circuit board: Dell 0CF458
    BIOS: Dell A00
    Display: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adaptor]
    Multimedia: Sound MAX Integrated Digital Audio
    Windows XP Home SP2