Thread: How to troubleshoot performance issues in MS Outlook 2007?

How to troubleshoot performance issues in MS Outlook 2007?

Hi friends,
    Several times I have observed many issues with the Microsoft Office 2007. Since, I work mostly with the Excel, therefore I know the issues that are caused in an Excel 2007. Sometimes it happens that Outlook 2007 is not responding. Also many times I have seen that Outlook 2007 stops responding for a long time. I am not able to troubleshoot performance issues in MS Outlook 2007.?? So please tell me some steps that should be taken to fix this issues.!! Hoping that someone would help me as soon as possible.
    Technology is a way of organizing the universe so that man doesn't have to experience it.-- Max Frisch 1911 -1991

Re: How to troubleshoot performance issues in MS Outlook 2007?

Performance issues may be due to one or more of the following :
    • Interaction of antivirus software
    • Indexing Desktop Search
    • Close incomplete .Pst files or .Ost files
    • POP3 on Windows Vista clients
    • Many Really Simple Syndication (RSS)
    • Inadequate equipment specifications
    • The latest service pack for Outlook 2007 is not installed
    • Great personal folders (.Pst) or Offline Folder files (.Ost)
    • Mode-Do Bar and in line with the Exchange server
    Blessings to you

If you have a .Pst file or a large file .Ost file, you may experience application pauses during typical operations in Outlook. These operations typically include reading email messages, email move and delete emails. When using Outlook 2007 with the performance upgrade, generally apply the following guidelines in size .Ost :
    • Between 2 and 4 GB: This size is usually dependent on the hardware. So if you have a fast hard disk and plenty of RAM, the experience will be better. However, hard drives more slowly, as the units that are normally found on portable computers or solid state drives early generation (SSD) experience some pauses in application units to respond.
    • More than 4 GB: This size is where short breaks start to occur in most hardware.
    • Very large as 10 GB or larger: This size increases the frequency of short pause, especially while you are downloading new email.

When you use Outlook 2007 SP1, generally apply the following guidelines in size .Ost :
    • Up to 5 gigabytes (GB): This size should provide a good user experience on most hardware.
    • Between 5 GB and 10 GB: This size is usually dependent on the hardware. So if you have a fast hard disk and plenty of RAM, the experience will be better. However, hard drives more slowly, as the units that are normally found on portable computers or solid state drives early generation (SSD) experience some pauses in application units to respond.
    • More than 10 GB: This size is where short breaks start to occur in most hardware.
    • Very large as 25 GB or larger: This size increases the frequency of short pause, especially while you are downloading new email. As described above, groups can use to manually synchronize your mail.
    QTechnology Ultra-Quiet ATX PSU 460W I MSI K8N Neo4-F I AMD Opteron 144 CABNE0545 2.66Ghz I 2 x 512MB RAM I 380GB Maxtor SATAI Raid0 Hard Drive I 40GB Maxtor IDE Hard Drive I Nvidia GeForce 7900GTX I Win XP Home Service Pack 2 I Soundblaster Xtreme Fidelity Fatal1ty I Mercury Home Theater HT-4500

If you run Outlook 2007 on a computer that has a unit of first-generation solid state (SSD) or a rotational hard disk drive (HDD) slowly, you may experience frequent pauses when you perform typical operations in Outlook. Storing and retrieving data in an Outlook data file involves a large number of small non-contiguous reads and writes. A good metric to use when gauging performance data file on certain hardware write performance is not adjacent to the drive. The Windows Performance team has provided a tool called WinSAT that can be used for specific drives test.

If you have a large number of elements in a single folder, you may experience performance issues during certain operations in Outlook while using Cached Exchange mode or through a personal folders (.Pst). These performance issues are especially noticeable when switching in and out of that folder. If you are using Cached Exchange Mode, see one of the following resources. Some performance problems on an Exchange server that has high item counts and restricted view of the resource document. In addition, resources describing how these performance problems may affect the client user experience overall.