Thread: Need some docks for Ubuntu

Need some docks for Ubuntu

Hi,
    I have a Ubuntu laptop. Ubuntu is really quiet functional. I want some choices for best dock for Linux desktop. I had found some but they are very basic to use. Some always stays connected to internet and ask for updates. I need some really easy to use and functional dock tools. I had found Kiba dock a tools for Linux desktop. But I had not applied the same yet.

Re: Need some docks for Ubuntu

Simdock is a dock light is rather stable. Aesthetically, it's probably the least mature, but that it does not require a composting manager like Compiz-Fusion makes it a tool of choice for small configurations. Simdock is available in the official repositories. So just need to search for the dock and run it. The dock is quiet functional and works with ease on Ubuntu.

Simdock is a dock light is rather stable. Aesthetically, it's probably the least mature, but that it does not require a composting manager like Compiz-Fusion makes it a tool of choice for small configurations. Simdock is available in the official repositories. So just need to search for the dock and run it. The dock is quiet functional and works with ease on Ubuntu.

The Docks - Quick Launch bar for visual effects eye candy - have the coast. Under GNU / Linux a great choice offered to the user. Kiba dock is a bit above is Simdock terms of aesthetics: It uses Compiz-Fusion, which can benefit from transparency effects. The dock itself is not bad, but having to compile the source to install barrier to some novices.

Included in GDesklets, this bar is quite successful in my eye level, but unfortunately too fragile for everyday use. It's to function normally ten hours on my machine, before going to messing around for no apparent reason. The positive point lies in the fact that if you are already GDesklets, the use of this Launch Bar will not make you install an additional application.

Not requiring composting manager like Simdock, WBAR should delight users with a small setup. Although more of a launch bar than a real dock - it is there indeed no applets - WBAR is quite attractive, visually speaking, even if it does not nor the level of AWN or Cairo Dock. To my knowledge there is no package for WBAR. To install it, it will compile from source.

AWN Dock is probably the most successful dock visually. Also, note the availability of AWN Manager GUI written in Python to fine tune the parameters of the dock like the look, effects, theme icons, applets, and so on. Many plugins are also available, allowing for example to display the level of play of a download via Firefox, or control the music player Rhythmbox. Easy to install, beginners with GNU / Linux find their account largely with AWN, as well as seasoned users. Another good point for this dock, stability virtually foolproof.