Thread: How to create mailing labels using the Mail Merge feature in Word?

How to create mailing labels using the Mail Merge feature in Word?

hi everyone,
    I want to create the mailing label but by using the mail merge feature of the MS Word. Usually I have created the mailing labels without using the mail merge feature, so you can say that I am having the idea of concepts that is required for creating the mailing labels. Explain me how to create mailing labels using the Mail Merge feature in Word? Hope that someone would help me soon.
    |===================|
    |YAY if that made sense...|
    |===================|

Re: How to create mailing labels using the Mail Merge feature in Word?

A main document contains the text and other elements that remain the same on each label. A data source contains information that differs in each label, such as name and address of each recipient. Merge fields that you insert into the main document in Microsoft Word where to print information from the data source. When you perform the merge and mail merge, Word replaces merge fields in the main document with information from the data source. Each row (or record) in the data source produces an individual label.

Open a new document to create a new label, or open an existing document that you used previously to merge labels.
    1. Open the document in Word, then start the operation of merge. To start a merge mail merge, follow these steps, depending on the version of Word you are running :
      • If you are using the Microsoft Office Word 2003, then in the Tools menu, click Letters and Mailings, then Mail Merge.
      • If you are using the Microsoft Office Word 2007, then on the Mailings tab, click Start Mail Merge, then click Mail Merge Wizard step.
    2. Under Select document type, click Labels, and then click Next: Starting document.
    3. Under Select starting document, click Change document layout or Start from existing document.
    4. Click Next: Select recipients.

You will also have to select the data source. The data source contains information that can vary on each label. You can open an existing data source created in Word, or create a new data source in which you enter information from the recipient. You should also keep in mind that you can also use a data source that has been created in another program, such as Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Access, or use a personal address book created in Microsoft Exchange Server or Microsoft Schedule +, or an ASCII text file or another delimited file.

You can select the data source, using the Outlook Contacts. The following steps explains the same :
    1. In the Mail Merge pane, click Select from Outlook contacts, click Choose Contacts Folder under the heading Select from Outlook contacts. The dialog box Select Contact List folder displays the Contacts folder available. Select the correct folder, then click OK.
    2. The names appear in the dialog Merge Recipients. Click OK.
    3. Click Next: Arrange your labels.

You should also edit the main document, which can be done as follows :
    1. In the Mail Merge task pane, you will have to verify that Step Arrange your labels is displayed. By doing this, that will let you lay out your labels.
    2. Word displays the items that you can use to lay out your labels, such as Address block, Greeting line, and the Electronic postage. I would recommend you to use the more items options to add specific fields. Once done with that click on the field you want to insert the merge fields that represent where Word will print the information from the data source. Be sure to type spaces or punctuation you want between two merge fields or after a merge field.
    3. When you have finished defining a label, click Update all labels to replicate all labels.
    4. Click Next: Preview your labels to preview your merged data.