Thread: What is an OpenOffice.org?

What is an OpenOffice.org?

Hello friends,
    Recently I have got an assignment about an open office. I have never used the open office, so I am not having much idea about it. So I thought to ask you guys, since you explain in simple language.!! So, please explain me what is an OpenOffice.org? Any other information related to the topic is also welcomed. Since I don't know much about the openOffice.org, provide me detailed information.!!
    As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness.Henry David Thoreau

Re: What is an OpenOffice.org?

OpenOffice.org which is shortly written as OOo, is an office suite free (open source and free distribution) that includes tools such as word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, vector drawing tools and database. is available for several platforms, including Microsoft Windows, GNU / Linux, BSD, Solaris and Mac OS X. Supports many file formats, including as the default standard format ISO / IEC OpenDocument (ODF), among other common formats.

OpenOffice.org can import and export documents in different file formats. The default format for writing documents is the standard ISO OpenDocument. It is also able to read and write the file formats of Microsoft Office. The suite has the ability to save documents in other formats, such as the format RTF, TXT, Microsoft Office XML and OpenOffice.org XML. Additionally you can export documents directly to the format PDF format and export presentations to Adobe Flash (SWF). OpenOffice.org also has the ability to import documents as a 'read only' in the format Unified Office Format, Data Interchange Format and the formats of Microsoft Works, WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3, and others.
    Just a reply to say thank you for these links and posts I have a lot to read and learn now!

OpenOffice.org is available for various operating systems including Windows, Linux, Mac OS, BSD, OpenVMS, OS / 2, IRIX, Solaris and OpenSolaris. In turn can run on different architectures such as x86, x86-64, SPARC, PowerPC, IA64, among others. Pilot using a wizard or you can download additional dictionaries for many languages, including other languages. This task can be performed also manually easily. It has dictionaries of words to spell check, hyphenation and thesaurus.

OpenOffice.org refers to both an integrated office open and free a community of developers, and website hosting the entire project. The stated aim is to establish, as a community, the leading international office suite, running on major platforms and provide access to functionality and data through components and APIs and open data format XML. As part of its policy of transparency, the storage format used by OOo is open and documented, it is standardized as the universal format office under the name of OpenDocument by the standards body OASIS, then by the ISO. The export file in Portable Document Format (PDF) is available to produce documents for publication.

To attract the maximum number of users, the software is designed to be particularly compatible with Microsoft Office, Office all the more prevalent. This compatibility is sought in terms of file formats and user interface, trying to make it as similar as possible. This search for consistency has also led to the publication of documentation that enabled the development of other software compatible with the Microsoft. Including libraries and xlrd xlwt of Python. OpenOffice.org is an office suite, that is to say a set of software to create and edit office documents such as articles, letters, spreadsheets, or presentations. The software consists of several modules that share common concepts.