Thread: Slow Printer Performance on a Clustered Print Server in Windows Server 2003

Slow Printer Performance on a Clustered Print Server in Windows Server 2003

Hello friends,
    I am facing some problem with the printer while printing some documents. I have observed that the performance is much slow when I do the printing on clustered print server. And I am running this on Windows Server 2003. I have tried lot of things to boost the speed but still not getting proper performance. Please suggest me something for Slow Printer Performance on a Clustered Print Server in Windows Server 2003!! Reply me as soon as possible.!!

Re: Slow Printer Performance on a Clustered Print Server in Windows Server 2003

You may experience slow printing performance on a server cluster based on Windows 2000 Server-based or Windows Server 2003 is configured as a print queue. By solving this problem occurs the following behavior :
    • Print jobs take a longer time to print.
    • If they fail on the cluster node to another node, the problem persists.
    Dimension 1100 (FMY032J) mini-tower
    2.53ghz Intel Pentium 4
    80 gig nfts HDD
    512 RAM
    Main circuit board: Dell 0CF458
    BIOS: Dell A00
    Display: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adaptor]
    Multimedia: Sound MAX Integrated Digital Audio
    Windows XP Home SP2

Many times it happens that your printer performance becomes slow because of unnecessary applications installed in it. So remove the applications that are not required. If you modify the Windows registry on the node in the cluster to increase the number of connections the node itself, the problem persists. Shared files in Folders \ Open administrative snap-in Management Tools \ System team, the server returns a file open multiple connections to \ Pipe \ Spoolss. These connections are not an owner.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signatureto help him gain world domination

This problem may occur if the Print Spooler service stops responding (hangs). There may be a situation where the spooler service is repeated on Yes when you make a remote call (RemoteGetPrinter) to a local printer. This behavior causes the spooler service connections to exhaust all available server itself. The spooler service stops responding because it is waiting for a thread that is trying to load a printer driver.
    QTechnology Ultra-Quiet ATX PSU 460W I MSI K8N Neo4-F I AMD Opteron 144 CABNE0545 2.66Ghz I 2 x 512MB RAM I 380GB Maxtor SATAI Raid0 Hard Drive I 40GB Maxtor IDE Hard Drive I Nvidia GeForce 7900GTX I Win XP Home Service Pack 2 I Soundblaster Xtreme Fidelity Fatal1ty I Mercury Home Theater HT-4500

This problem may occur if you try to open a connection to a shared printer that no longer exists. For example, this problem may occur in the following situations :
    • Change name a share of the printer and tries to connect to the printer using the old name.
    • A network printer is local to a cluster node and tries to connect to it when the cluster node switch.

In these cases, the print spooler service routes the incoming call OpenPrinter local print queues (including the cluster). If local print queues not recognize the requested printer name, the spooler passes the calls to the remote print provider (Win32spl.dll).

I would like to suggest you to install supported hotfix from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct the problem described by you. Apply it only to systems experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, I recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix. If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that are unrelated to this specific hotfix.