Thread: How to use mail merge to create envelopes in Word?

How to use mail merge to create envelopes in Word?

Hi friends,
    I have done the basic things in Microsoft Office. Usually I use the MS Word for doing my work. Now I want to know about creating an envelopes. I have referred to my notes but in that they have not explained about creating an envelopes using the mail merge. Also I am not having any idea of it, so I can't even try it. Hoping that there would be someone over there who can explain me about it properly. Please tell me how to use mail merge to create envelopes in Word.?? Reply me as soon as possible.!!
    As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness.Henry David Thoreau

Re: How to use mail merge to create envelopes in Word?

Before creating the envelopes I would suggest that you should have proper knowledge about the Mail Merge. Once your concepts are clear then you can use it for creating an envelopes. A mail merge is used to create form letters, mailing labels, envelopes, directories, and mass distributions by email and fax. In the merge process using three documents: the main document, the data source and the merged document. In a mail merge operation in Word, the document containing the text and graphics that are the same for each version of the merged document, for example, the return address or salutation in a form letter.

Open or create a data source with individual recipient information. A file that contains the information to be merged into a document. For example, the list of names and addresses to use in a mail merge. You must connect to the data source before using the information it contains. Microsoft Word Mail Merge simplifies through a wizard that guides you through all the steps. If you prefer to work outside the wizard, you can use the Mail Merge toolbar. In any case, the end result is that each row (or record) data source generates a form letter, mailing label, envelope, or directory item individually. You can also use mail merge to create any type of document that maps fields to data, not just mailings or directories.
    Just a reply to say thank you for these links and posts I have a lot to read and learn now!

If you are using the MS Word 2003, then follow the steps for creating an Envelopes by using the Mail Merge :
    1. Start a mail merge.
    2. In the Tools menu, click Letters and Mailings, then Mail Merge.
    3. Then you will have to select the document type.
    4. Select Change document layout, then click the Envelope Options to define the current document as a document envelopes from mail merge templates.
    5. Choose Use an existing list, then click Browse if you want the recipient information was obtained from an existing data file.
    6. In the dialog Merge Recipients, make the changes necessary to the recipient list, then click OK.
    7. Lastly you will have to arrange your envelope.
    8. Click Print to send the merged envelopes to the printer.
    9. Click Edit individual letters to send envelopes merged into a new document you can edit or save before printing.

If you are working with the Microsoft Office Word 2007, then the below steps would help you to create an envelope using mail merge :
    1. On the Mailings tab, click Start Mail Merge, then click Mail Merge Wizard step.
    2. In the task pane Mail Merge, select Envelopes under Select document type.
    3. Click Next: Starting document.
    4. Under Select starting document, select one of the following options:
      • Select Change document layout, then click the Envelope Options to define the current document as a document envelopes from mail merge templates.
      • Select Use an existing document, then make your selection from the list of filenames, or click Open to browse for an existing document envelopes.
    5. Under Select recipients, select one of three options :
      • Choose Use an existing list, then click Browse if you want the recipient information was obtained from an existing data file.
      • Choose Select from Outlook contacts, then click Choose Contacts Folder if you want the recipient information is from the names listed in Outlook contacts folder.
      • Select Type a new list, then click Create to type the recipient names in the dialog box Create a list of addresses.
    6. In the dialog Merge Recipients, make the changes necessary to the recipient list, then click OK.
    7. Click Next: Arrange your envelope.
    8. Click Print to send the merged envelopes to the printer.
    Blessings to you

You can do the following steps for arranging your envelopes :
    1. Place your insertion point in the address area of the recipient on the envelope document.
    2. In the task pane Mail Merge, click Address Block.
    3. In the dialog box Insert Address Block, select options for the format name of recipient, company name, address and country / region, then click OK.
    4. If you have software for electronic postage, you add it during this step. For more information, see the documentation provided with the software of electronic postage.
    5. If you want to choose other fields in your Address List, click the More Items option to select the field you want.
    6. Click Next: Preview your envelopes to continue.