Thread: Unable to burn a disc with iDVD

Unable to burn a disc with iDVD

Hello to all,
    I am having this problem from last week. I have bunch of short home movies. Whenever I tried to burn that movies in disc using iDVD , it gives an error message. I don't know why I unable to burn a disc with iDVD. Anyone else having the same problem. Please help me.
    Thank you.

Re: Unable to burn a disc with iDVD

You haven't specify which type of error you are getting. If you are getting Error :-34502, then you have to use following steps to fix this problem. This can happen if one of your buttons falls outside of the standard (4:3) TV safe area, even if the project is widescreen.
    If you see the error, turn on the options for both "Show TV Safe Area" and "Show Standard Crop Area" in the View menu, and then Preview your iDVD project. Check to see if any of your buttons fall outside of the innermost area. You'll know if this is the case, because when you hover over the button with your mouse, the button's outline will not draw as expected.
    Note : Leaving the option "Snap buttons to grid" turned on in the Buttons pane of iDVD can help you avoid this issue.

From your information it seems that you have connected your burner using USB cable and that's why you are getting such type of problem. If your burner is connected via USB, you may not be able to burn at the highest speed the drive is capable of using. Trying to burn at too high of a speed may lead to a failed burn because there is not enough bandwidth on the bus.
    If you have a SCSI burner, make sure the SCSI cabling is configured correctly, and that the SCSI chain is properly terminated. Issues may result from improper termination. Also, make sure you use properly-shielded cables to connect the burner to the computer.

If you are getting "The recording device reported a media error", then it seems that you don have enough space in your computer. Make sure you have enough free space on your drive to create a DVD. You need approximately 4.8 GB of free space on your startup volume to burn a DVD. If you are creating a disc image, you'll need approximately twice that amount. If you receive the error message "The recording device reported a media error" during disc burning, this may indicate a lack of disk space.

You have to use method to fix this problem. Because they can also affect your iDVD.
    1. Make sure your software is up to date, including QuickTime, Mac OS X, and iDVD.
    2.Temporarily disable any non-Apple QuickTime plugins by removing them from /Library/QuickTime/ and ~/Library/QuickTime/ and try burning again.
    Note: The tilde character "~" represents your home folder.

Try to update your iDVD software. If the issue is not isolated to iDVD, run Apple Hardware Test to ensure there are no issues with RAM, processor, etc. If Apple Hardware Test passes, test burning from another user account on the same computer (this document has steps to create a new user if you don't have one already). If this fails, consider an Archive and Install installation of the operating system, preserving users. Run software update again, and then see if your burning issues from multiple applications persist.