Thread: How to create a Word for Mac merge document by using Excel data?

How to create a Word for Mac merge document by using Excel data?

Hi friends,
    I am using the Mac as my operating system. In that I have installed the MS Office 2004. I want to create a word so that it can be used for merging documents. But I want to use it with the help of Excel Data.!! I tried many different things but I was not successful. So thought to take some help fom you guys.!! Please tell me how to create a Word for Mac merge document by using Excel data? Hope someone would help me soon!!

Re: How to create a Word for Mac merge document by using Excel data?

I have never tried this by doing myself but I am trying to give you some basic idea, so that you can do the necessary thing. Insert the data on the first sheet in the Excel workbook. Data can be in a named range, but this simple combination, it is best if the worksheet contains only data for the combination. Start the data in the first row of the first column. In the first row of data (the header row), insert the field names that are used to refer to the various columns of data. The field names must be free of punctuation and must consist of one word per field. Each column contains data that should have a field name in the top of the column.

You should keep in mind that it is easy to combine information from separate fields in a merge document. However, it is difficult to separate information in a field. Therefore, when creating a data document, create as many fields as is practical to create. For example, you want the name first in a separate field of name, to make it easy to sort the records in the data document by name. Keep the name and surname separated also provides easy to use just the name in greeting. Hope that you got the point that I was trying to explain.!!

After you create and save the document data in Microsoft Excel, follow these steps to create the main document :
    1. Start Microsoft Word 2004 by double-clicking the icon for Microsoft Word.
    2. In the Project Gallery, click Word Document.
    3. The insertion point is now blinking in Document1. This indicates that Document 1 is the active document.
    4. On the Tools menu, click Data Merge Manager.
    5. The Data Merge Manager appears on the screen.
    6. In the main Data Manager, click Create and then click letters.

You can edit the main document, by following the steps provided by me :
    Type some text in the document.
    1. Click where you want to insert the first field. In the Data Merge Manager, drag the field name to use in the main document.
    2. Repeat steps 1 and 2 as many times as necessary to create the entries and to insert the merge fields you want in the main document.
    3. To save the main document, click Save or Save As from the File menu.

You should know that when combining data, you can use as few or as many data fields that need data fields and can be used in any order. In addition, each field can be used more than once.
    Just a reply to say thank you for these links and posts I have a lot to read and learn now!

To merge the main document and the document data, click A new document in the Data Merge Manager. This creates a new document that contains the results of the combination. This new document can be printed, saved or deleted without affecting the main document or the document data. You should also remember that after creating a simple combination that works correctly, you can change items in the main document, one by one, to increase the complexity of the combination. To test the combination of errors, combining the data after each change you make.