Thread: Settings in the Dialog box Format Cells in Excel

Settings in the Dialog box Format Cells in Excel

Hi friends,
    I want to know about the format dialog box that is present in the Microsoft Excel. I always have a doubt that can we change the display of the cell.??! I guess, its yes, because I have seen somewhere. But I am not so sure about it. So would you guys please help by telling the settings that are required in Dialog box Format Cells in Excel Since, i don't know anything I am expecting a detailed information about it.
    AMD Sempron 2800+ @ 2Ghz
    Asus A7V8X-LA
    120Gb Seagate barracuda 7200Rpm Ultra-ATA 100
    Elixir 512mb DDR Pc3200 (Soon 1Gb)
    Club 3D Radeon 9600 256Mb
    Lite-On Cd & Dvd writer combo
    IDE-Dvd drive
    400w Psu
    Windows Xp Pro Sp2
    Advent Wireless Mouse & Keyboard.

Re: Settings in the Dialog box Format Cells in Excel

Microsoft Excel offers many ways to change the display of a cell. For example, you can specify the number of decimal digits that must appear to the right of the comma or add a pattern and use it to guide the cell. The Format dialog box cell consists of six tabs: Number, Alignment, Font, Border, Patterns, and Protection. The box of the Format Cells dialog allows you to access and modify most of these settings. For doing this you will have to click on the Format menu, and then click Cells.
    Just a reply to say thank you for these links and posts I have a lot to read and learn now!

I am explaining you about the Automatic formatting of numbers, which is also very useful for formatting the cells. By default, the number format used in the formatting of all cells of spreadsheets. With this format, anything you type into the cell generally remains as such. For example, if you type 36526 into a cell, then press ENTER, the cell content is displayed 36526. This is because the cell maintains the number format. There are other situations where Excel leaves the number format to Standard, although the contents of the cell does not appear exactly as you typed. there are scenarios in which Excel can automatically change the number format standard for something else, according to the characters that you typed in the cell. This feature saves you from having to manually change the number format that is easily recognizable.
    Blessings to you

Excel offers a wide choice of integrated number formats. To use one of these formats, click one of the categories listed below Standard, then select the desired option for this format. When you select a format from the list, Excel automatically displays an example of the output in the Preview area of the Number tab. These included number formats actually use a predefined combination of symbols listed below in the section "Custom number formats. The custom number format underlying transparent to you however.

I would like to explain about the Custom number formats, because I am having knowledge of it. f a number of formats does not display the integrated data in the format you want, you can create your own custom number format. To create these custom number formats, you can change the format or integrated symbols combine formatting for your own combination. Before you create your own custom number format, you need to know the simple rules governing the syntax for number formats :
    1. Each format that you create can contain up to three sections for numbers and a fourth section for text.
    2. The sections set in order, the sizes of positive numbers, negative numbers, zero values and text.
    3. These sections are separated by semicolons.
    4. If you do not specify a single section, use all numbers (positive, negative and zero) this same format.
    5. You can prevent the display of any type of numbers (positive, negative or zero) by not typing symbols in the corresponding section.

Microsoft Excel displays a number according to the format of the cell that contains it. Consequently, the number displayed in the cell may differ from the number stored by Excel and the number used in calculations that refer to the cell. The Alignment tab of the Format dialog box cell, you can place text and numbers, change direction and specify a text control in cells. The text alignment option allows you to control the horizontal and vertical alignment and the withdrawal.