Thread: What to choose for Compression and Decompression in OS X

What to choose for Compression and Decompression in OS X

Hi,
    I am always confused for the archive files which comes in mails. The things is that I had got a series of files in mail. The same was divided into parts. And I was not having the associate tool for that. I am not so familiar with all those compression formats used for a data. What should I do here. Many times those files are decompressed automatically but sometime the OS X does not found the software for the same. Thanks in advance.

Re: What to choose for Compression and Decompression in OS X

The compression & decompression of files & folders is a very common computer. Compressing a file reduces its weight, which allows us e.g to store more data on a CD or hard drive backup, but the compression we use to power email attachments smaller size, which is very convenient. Moreover, all the files you can download on the Internet (such as download sites OS X for example) are automatically compressed which is also known as compacted.

Since nothing is simple at the outset computer, you must know that the compression formats are numerous and can vary from one platform to another. On Mac, the most common sizes are especially under OS X format. Zip and a little format. Sit (and. Sitx), while PC is essentially the zip format. And that Linux is preferred rather format. tar. Using the disk image . Dmg is also a preferred compression format for OS X. There are many software for the same available on internet.

v Guest

Have you heard about .bin or .hqx files. They are compression formats that is used on mac and they are are called as self-extracting or Self-extracting archive which is a format used for compression & decompression system disk image. These formats are however increasingly rare in OS X, although they were widely used in OS 9.

First you all you must assess your real needs for compression & decompression of files. No need to spend to buy software. A majority of files can be opened in Mac Pc without any third party support. In my case I rely on winrar. It gives out .rar archive files which is widely used and the most common one found. Better switch to this for your mailing preferences.

If you do not have a real need to compress and you'll be satisfied with the compression then zip is the format proposed for OS X. However you want to decompress all the compression formats. In this case, I recommend the couple StuffIt Expander or The Unarchiver. both of them are free software. And if you want the full range for compression and decompression then choose StuffIt Deluxe. It is a chargeable software.