Thread: Audio format compatibility on mac pc

Audio format compatibility on mac pc

Hi,
    I am engaged in a business of audio mixing. I have to buy a new pc for audio editing. I want to switch to MAC for some reasons. The thing which I want to know here is that does all types of audio format works properly on MAC. I have to deal with various sound formats and sometimes improper codecs destroys the sound quality. What are the different types of sound format which support mac.

Re: Audio format compatibility on mac pc

Yes, the Mac is an ideal tool for all professional audio creation, conversion, mixing etc. Mac system supports almost all kind of audio formats. But other than this there are some major audio format which can be played or edited in MAC. The first which I no is Audio Interchange File Format or AIF. This is the file format of your audio CDs. It is a very popular format on the Mac platform (on the PC it will instead use the equivalent WAV). When you burn an audio CD, this format is that you burn your audio files. The disadvantage of this format is the weight! A simple audio file (a song for example) weighs about 30 to 40 MB.

You can play and edit wav file sin mac They are equivalent of AIFF. But rest assured with your Mac you can play carefree and convert audio files in wave. The most popular format mp3 is also suitable for mac players. This format has spread very quickly on the web, in fact it is easier and faster to share files and download the small files rather than sometimes 10 times larger.

If you are going to deal with any high quality coding like AAC or MP4 then you need to add up third party software's. The encoding standard AAC has a double advantage over MP3. Compression is increased, which means that after you rip an audio CD, MP4 files obtained will be smaller than if they had been ripped MP3 (choosing the same encoding settings). The other advantage is that despite a lighter weight, AAC files are of much better quality, near CD quality audio.

The Ogg Vorbis is a new audio format free of law, to say that this format is for everyone so you do not pay anyone to use. Vorbis is the name of the audio compression scheme specifically used to create files Ogg Vorbis. It is part of the Ogg formed to create a multimedia system free and open.This format was created to remove any proprietary audio format, to enable those who can not afford a license, you can still broadcast their music.

MID files are in MIDI music format. This format uses the capabilities of your sound card to reproduce the score that represents this file, and code the list of events and sounds to trigger at any given time. A MIDI file contains thus no words. It is a system to manage from his computer electronic musical instruments and audio devices. This standard is primarily intended to synthesizers.