Thread: What are Smart Quotes in Snow Leopard

What are Smart Quotes in Snow Leopard

Hi,
    In Mail and TextEdit what are the ways by which I can use Smart Quotes. I want some tips on the same. I had tried to check out in the Edit Menu but there is nothing shown in it. Where to get Substitution settings in the same. The other thing I want to know how to enable smart links in Mail. I had find those are not arranged properly.

Re: What are Smart Quotes in Snow Leopard

To enable smart quotes in your text editor do this. Go in the menu and then click on Edit > Substitutions in TextEdit or any other word processor applications managing the substitution function, you can also activate the smart quotes. Now you smart quotes is activated and you can use them while typing on your text editor. You can also use some other third party application for the same.

It is possible to set more accurately what type of single and double quotes curves you would have to replace the quotes by going to the panel Language and Text, then click the tab Text. Choose from the 2 dropdown menus smart quotes. You can adjust your settings from there and thus use the implementation of smart quotes more effectively.

It is possible to add smart links in Text Edit. The settings for the same lies under Substitution. Click on Edit > Substituion. There you can see the option of activating Smart Links. TextEdit, Mail and other applications compatible with the substitution function can automatically turn Internet addresses in your document into clickable links. The application converts the e-mail a link that opens directly to the mailer if it is clicked. An editorial page is already well prepared with this sender.

When you enable Detection of Data function, the application automatically detects data such as addresses and phone numbers when you move the mouse pointer over these elements. The application proposes a menu drop directly on these data (hover your mouse over the data to access the drop down menus), thereby creating or updating an immediate contact in the Address Book display a map to locate the address, and display a larger coordinates. The settings are similar.

Detection of Data is also capable of detecting the dates and times automatically when you move the pointer to the data. In addition to the dates (eg 11 February) and times (eg, 16.15), the application also recognizes the date-related phrases and times. The application also proposes then a popup menu directly on these data, thus immediately create a new event iCal or view the event on a particular date.