Thread: WORD 2010 becomes Read-Only

WORD 2010 becomes Read-Only

My system is installed with windows 7 operating system. whenever i try to write a .docx file in word 2010 and save the file repeatedly each and every time after making chenges. After sometime suddenly i can notice that my word 2010 file has became a read only file. Please help me to solve this error. Thanks in Advance.

Re: WORD 2010 becomes Read-Only

Are you using the full version of the word 2010 or beta version. If you are using the beta version then i think it does not have certain features of the word 2010 which are available with the full version. Hence if possible try to upgrade the word 2010 to full version. After upgrading the issue will be fixed.

In order to solve this problem First of all i would like to know where you are saving the file on your system. whether you are saving your file on a local hard drive or a removable drive or on a sky drive or on a network folder. Unless and until you do not mention this i cannot predict a solution to this problem.

Thanks for replying me friends but as you all have asked me some more details about this problem so that it becomes easy for you to help me. I have saved this file to a local hard drive in the E: drive of my system also this drive or partition is having 25 GB of free space. Please try to solve this problem at your earliest.

If you are saving this file to a local hard drive and your File is changed to a read only file. Then have you tried to save this file to some other location or to some other partition if not then i will suggest you to try it. If this still does not solves your issue then try to save the file with different name.

Sounds like some of your system files are affected so i would suggest you to repair the office 2010 file because after the repair it is quite possible that the word program will start behaving normally. but if the problem persists after the repair too then try a system restore. Try to restore the system to a date before where your program was working normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassey View Post
    My system is installed with windows 7 operating system. whenever i try to write a .docx file in word 2010 and save the file repeatedly each and every time after making chenges. After sometime suddenly i can notice that my word 2010 file has became a read only file. Please help me to solve this error. Thanks in Advance.
    I do not know if my case is the same as yours, Cassey. I am having a problem of deleting or renaming Word files. It (or They) is 97-2003 compatible files. After converting to 2007, I wanted to delete it only to find I keep on getting the message:

'The action can't be completed because the file is open in Microsoft Office Word. Close the file and try again.'

The file is not open any place. I closed Word. I even shut off the PC and came back. No matter what I do, I couldn't delete the file. When it is open, I can see (read-only) as a part of file. The read-only box in properties is not checked.

My OS is Windows 7, and these files originally came from Windows XP.

I tried to do so many things and as a result creating multiple identical files with different names. The undeletable files are increasing in number. It is a serious problem. Please help. Thanx

I have the same problem and finally managed to delete the files by accessing the Task Manager (ctrl/alt/delete) and finding WINWORD.EXE running in the background in the processes, not the Applications. Once the background winword was terminated I could delete the formerly undeletable copies.

Hope this helps!

fluffyasacat,

Yes, it worked. Thank you so much! I feel relieved.

So glad to hear it! I noticed the WINWORD.EXE file reappeared in the processes list after 15 seconds or so without having opened Word in the intervening period. Apparently it runs in the background chewing up 30MB of RAM just to make the program startup faster :/

if you happen to work out how to disable that feature please let me know. I know your email client has to be told not to use Word for editing HTML emails but I don't even have an email client on this computer. Hopefully we can make Word less "intuitive" and bloated by getting the settings right (eventually).

Thank you so much fluffyasacat! Problem solved (i.e. bypassed, problems are seldom solved with Microsoft) through the Task Manager trick. However, I noticed something: WINWORD.EXE only appears back in task manager when you select a *.doc (or a *.docx) file. I left my folder open for several minutes with no file selected, and winword.exe never appeared in task manager! I tried selecting other types of files in the same folder (text, etc.), and no winword.exe appeared. Hope this helps.